Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
fnhdx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:54 pm   

Has this software still been maintained and updated

I saw the latest version is 10 year ago.
Chiara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:55 pm   

There have not been any updates or fixes since then. We are still supporting with license keys and the forums.
Chiara
fnhdx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:13 am   

Does it support windows 11?
Chiara wrote:
There have not been any updates or fixes since then. We are still supporting with license keys and the forums.
Chiara
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:39 pm   

fnhdx wrote:
Does it support windows 11?

It works on Windows 11.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:52 pm   

Chiara wrote:
Chiara

@Chiara, It would be great to even have just 1 day's work on this per year from @Zugg. I'm sure someone here could curate a priority list for his attention so he doesn't have to spend the time reading all the forum posts and seeing what the biggest issues are. I emailed a list of a few issues over a while back...) Such a strategy - to have annual updates - would boost CMUD sales I'm sure and pay for itself.
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:44 am   

What do you want changed?

I did a fresh install recently- Win 11 pro, no problems at all: didn't even need to use compatibility mode. My old settings came right over.

What do you think could get done in a day? It would probably take at least that long to dust the dev tools off. You're probably also underestimating the time for regression testing, packaging, and install testing.

\It was a bummer to see Zugg step away, but a decade on it's still best of breed and quite stable, particularly for heavy scripting and multiple sessions.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:08 pm   

Tarn wrote:

OK, here is the list of 2 things, 1 fix and 1 new feature, that I sent over a couple of years ago as part of an email:
Seb wrote:
1. making the CMUD icon in the taskbar change colour again on new text from the MUD. This apparently worked in Vista and broke in Windows 7, ref: http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34335
I would certainly appreciate a fix here.

2. adding TLS support for telnet. Personally, I don't need it because I use a mapper for my MUD that proxies the connection and has the TLS support - but I would think the most popular MUDs now support TLS and mudders will want to use that feature instead of risking their passwords being stolen!

Potentially adding 1 more to the above, I would suggest that the bug I posted this week is also fairly important for zMUD users thinking about migrating.
Tarn wrote:
What do you think could get done in a day? It would probably take at least that long to dust the dev tools off. You're probably also underestimating the time for regression testing, packaging, and install testing.

Well, if the PC is still working, or there is a virtualized copy of it working, that has the dev tools working, then it wouldn't take long at all to dust off the dev tools. Obviously, if they need re-installing on a fresh PC, it will take longer. Both of the above changes I quoted and suggested are pretty self-contained I reckon, and so there would be a limited need for regression testing. But maybe a weekend is more realistic than 1 day, especially given it's been so long since the last version.
Tarn wrote:
It was a bummer to see Zugg step away, but a decade on it's still best of breed and quite stable, particularly for heavy scripting and multiple sessions.

Well, that is debatable. I still have what I thought / think is a CMUD bug affecting my clock, but more broadly <Name removed so as not to promote another client> is really good now, some would say better than CMUD, but it's really the fact that CMUD is seen as dead that means that people on the Mud that I play are migrating from their old clients (including zMUD) to that Mud client instead of to CMUD. Having regular, e.g. annual, releases of CMUD, even if the updates are tiny because Zugg only works on it for 1 weekend a year, would do a lot to banish that 'dead' feeling.
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:28 pm   

Seb wrote:
Tarn wrote:

OK, here is the list of 2 things, 1 fix and 1 new feature, that I sent over a couple of years ago as part of an email:
Seb wrote:
1. making the CMUD icon in the taskbar change colour again on new text from the MUD. This apparently worked in Vista and broke in Windows 7, ref: http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34335

I never used this- the various Windows compatibility mode settings don't work?

Quote:

2. adding TLS support for telnet. Personally, I don't need it because I use a mapper for my MUD that proxies the connection and has the TLS support - but I would think the most popular MUDs now support TLS and mudders will want to use that feature instead of risking their passwords being stolen!

CNUD Pro supports SSH... is there a bug?

Quote:

Potentially adding 1 more to the above, I would suggest that the bug I posted this week is also fairly important for zMUD users thinking about migrating.

Previously, support questions like that have been handled by exporting settings to text and importing them.

Is this really what's keeping significant numbers of people from converting from (20 year old!) zMud to CMUD?

Quote:

Well, if the PC is still working, or there is a virtualized copy of it working, that has the dev tools working, then it wouldn't take long at all to dust off the dev tools. Obviously, if they need re-installing on a fresh PC, it will take longer. Both of the above changes I quoted and suggested are pretty self-contained I reckon, and so there would be a limited need for regression testing. But maybe a weekend is more realistic than 1 day, especially given it's been so long since the last version.

I'd burn a weekend to try fixing a blocker bug, but lacking that does it really make business sense?

I continue to think your estimate is wildly low.
Quote:

Tarn wrote:
It was a bummer to see Zugg step away, but a decade on it's still best of breed and quite stable, particularly for heavy scripting and multiple sessions.

Well, that is debatable. I still have what I thought / think is a CMUD bug affecting my clock, but more broadly <Name removed so as not to promote another client> is really good now, some would say better than CMUD,

Maybe. I have two in mind. One is cross platform and if "desiggned to work on Linux" is one of your key features then yes it's there. For Windows, I am entirely underwhelmed by the look, feel (not really Windows, not really Linux, not really Apple), installation footprint, speed, and certain (for me key) features like easy sypport of proxies. It does appeaar to be well written, but it checks almost none of the boxes CMUD does for me. The other... well, so far as I'm concerned it does not get goat's blood out (source code reference).

Quote:

but it's really the fact that CMUD is seen as dead that means that people on the Mud that I play are migrating from their old clients (including zMUD) to that Mud client instead of to CMUD. Having regular, e.g. annual, releases of CMUD, even if the updates are tiny because Zugg only works on it for 1 weekend a year, would do a lot to banish that 'dead' feeling.

I think it's a great value as a product. I don't really understand the 'seen as dead' thing... what a product does -NOW- is always worth more than what the devs of some other product are talking about doing in a few releases. CMUD is there now.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:52 pm   

Tarn wrote:
Seb wrote:
Tarn wrote:

Seb wrote:

I never used this- the various Windows compatibility mode settings don't work?

No, it does not work on any Windows compatibility mode settings and I'm amazed you hadn't noticed this issue inherently. It doesn't take any scripts to test, it's something that should happen without trying to test, though one can test it of course without being connected to a mud using the tick timer with #ECHO Test every 5 seconds.

Tarn wrote:
Quote:

CNUD Pro supports SSH... is there a bug?

I'm not talking about SSH. I'm talking about Telnet over TLS. Completely different things. Telnet over TLS: https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/42/I-D/draft-ietf-tn3270e-telnet-tls-00.txt Almost everyone connecting to the MUD I play use this protocol. Some MUD clients that support it.

Tarn wrote:
Quote:

Previously, support questions like that have been handled by exporting settings to text and importing them.

Have you read that thread?! Exporting to text and re-importing loses a lot of data that is in the .mud file.

Tarn wrote:
Is this really what's keeping significant numbers of people from converting from (20 year old!) zMud to CMUD?

No, I don't believe it is these 3 issues, I believe it is the fact that CMUD is seen as dead and people are migrating to clients that are not seen as dead.

Tarn wrote:
Quote:

I'd burn a weekend to try fixing a blocker bug, but lacking that does it really make business sense?

Yes, it does, so that the MUD client appears to be still alive. The typical MUD player is not your average computer user. They are much more computer savvy, perhaps even the majority working in Software or IT, and these people favour software that has updates more recently than 10 years ago (12 now)! They are aware that software needs to be updated from time to time just to stand still and even more so to remain relevant as the competition evolves.

Tarn wrote:
I continue to think your estimate is wildly low.

My estimate of a weekend release a new version? As I said, it depends on whether Zugg still has a PC with his development environment on. I have a colleague with a 20-year-old PC still running Delphi and he can dip back into changing the code and re-compiling when he wants. He doesn't need to dust anything off, but of course, his memory of his code fades when he doesn't touch it for years, and it can take him some time to understand his code again or recall how it works. Some parts of the CMUD code are much more involved and complex than others, so some parts would be less approachable than others.
Tarn wrote:
Quote:

Tarn wrote:

Well, that is debatable. I still have what I thought / think is a CMUD bug affecting my clock, but more broadly <Name removed so as not to promote another client> is really good now, some would say better than CMUD,

Maybe. I have two in mind. One is cross platform and if "desiggned to work on Linux" is one of your key features then yes it's there. For Windows, I am entirely underwhelmed by the look, feel (not really Windows, not really Linux, not really Apple), installation footprint, speed, and certain (for me key) features like easy sypport of proxies. It does appeaar to be well written, but it checks almost none of the boxes CMUD does for me. The other... well, so far as I'm concerned it does not get goat's blood out (source code reference).

Others on my MUD have done some amazing graphical things with the MUD client I'm thinking of.

Tarn wrote:
Quote:

but it's really the fact that CMUD is seen as dead that means that people on the Mud that I play are migrating from their old clients (including zMUD) to that Mud client instead of to CMUD. Having regular, e.g. annual, releases of CMUD, even if the updates are tiny because Zugg only works on it for 1 weekend a year, would do a lot to banish that 'dead' feeling.

I think it's a great value as a product. I don't really understand the 'seen as dead' thing... what a product does -NOW- is always worth more than what the devs of some other product are talking about doing in a few releases. CMUD is there now.

I don't dispute that it's a great value product, but in a time where it's difficult to tempt people back to MUDs, being non-free is a hurdle to overcome, and if it also appears to be dead, perhaps buggy and with few other people using it on the MUD they play who can help support it and make and share cool packages, the hurdles add up. If at least, it wasn't completely dead, it would be easier for me to sell the idea of trying CMUD to other players on my MUD.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:50 pm   

This is really incidental to the point I was making, but just by way of an update on 2 of the issues I mentioned earlier...
Seb wrote:

The situation is better here than I thought thanks to an update in v3.13, although still could be improved as it doesn't work as expected and is hard to distinguish. I did some testing and posted my results here.

Also, I managed to get my clock working by removing all the %eval use.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: