Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
OldGlory
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:09 am   

Ugly sight! Distraught 80yo woman with major CMud problems.

Preferences for Module:
-->Scripting--Special Characters

This is my problem: [err one of my problems]

Focus Char: [blank] Movement Char: [blank]

I am unable to either add or remove the 'ticks' in these boxes.
All the other boxes have the proper chars in them/all enabled.

My character in my lpmud game no longer travels on the mapper.
I simply can no longer put up with this strange behavior. My un-techy
brain keeps telling me that it might be the Movement Char as it's always been ticked prior to these problems. The Focus Char was and always had been unticked so it wouldn't interfere with the chat channel.

I have tried everything immagineable the last three months: getting new CMUD334s, removing and trashing everything, starting all over about one hundred times, but I have no desire to become a real techy. I have played this lpmud for twenty years, have reached the age of eighty and THOUGHT I would be mudding right up until the end. The right of all old ladies? Well.

Can anyone help this not-a-techy? Shall I assume that absolutely everything is corrupted? Should I dump everything on my computer relating to these chars as well as all related note/document files. I must have started about a zillion chars and begun again with all the old ones too, hoping that I would trip over the answer.

Vijilante helped me about eight years ago, but even I don't have the nerve to ask for his help again. He did a wonderful job of explaining, etc., for me. I cannot steal him from this site though--and wouldn't if I could.

Waiting to be rescued . . . not patiently, but waiting
Thanks to anyone who might be tempted . . .
I am rather eclectic with my game/filing/etc. I don't use classes (too hard for me to understand at the time) and now I just close my eyes so as not to see what a mess I made of that . . . and then finally my biggest fear of all
SHALIMAR who could possibly holler at me to SHOW him right here what happened when things went wrong . . .

HELP! You all have been warned!
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:04 am   

Vijilante sometimes still frequents these forums occasionally, try sending him a PM.
And if I have even hollered at you in the past I do apologize.

Any note files you have (.txt .doc etc) would have no bearing on CMUD, though I would suggest you back those files up somewhere (external hard drive or cloud services), just in case you do ever experience a hardware failure.
The only crucial files for any given session are the .pkg and the .dbm files, I would update those regularly as well.

Moving the other files (config .xly .zfg .tbz) may correct the issue you are having, as they should just recreate themselves the next time you open CMUD.
If it does, don't forget to delete the moved versions afterward.

If it is a corruption issue, there is a way to save some of your settings.
Within the settings window, under the File Menu, there is an option to Export XML (All).
That will convert your triggers and aliases and whatnot into a .xml file.
You would then close out CMUD and open the File Explorer.
Navigate to the folder where your information is stored (defaults to Documents/My Games/CMUD/<sessionName>) and then either move or rename the .pkg of the same name.
When you then reopen CMUD, it will create a new, blank .pkg file.
Go back into the Settings Window, under the File Menu, and this time chose Import XML.
Navigate to where you saved the .xml file earlier if it doesn't have you there already, and open it.
That should be all you need to do in the event of corruption.

Outside of that, I can only think it might be an issue specific to that one game, which could be verified by someone else trying to connect to that game with CMUD.
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:14 am   

You are so quick to respond! Thank you so much.

You have never ever hollered at me (I'm a big tease!), but you and Vijilante should both get a medal. I know how lacking I am and I know how smart all these youngsters are. I'm not only in awe of you gurus, but these young people are more than knowledgeable.

What you have told me is exactly what I needed. I've been doing some of these things (over 3 months and lots of exhaustion). I needed someone to give me direction, etc., and also, I do have trouble with the lingo and your explanations were couched in words I understood. After almost 20 years one would think I could pull it together! I'll be working on all that you mentioned for the next few months :) I shall not return unless I can do it and then only to cheer and thank you for your kind heart. It will feel good to work on this with the direction of an expert so that I shall feel less hopeless.

'Hi' to Vijilante should you see him. I'll try to remember to send him a note too.

BTW, Chiara contacted me after she and hubby recently returned from a vacation. She told me that 10 years or so ago that they had moved to Northern Virginia which is where I'd lived and worked, went to the mountains for about 15 years and now to South Carolina. She's a very lovely, thoughtful woman.
Chiara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:31 am   

You're so nice! I'm glad our faithful Gurus are giving you the help you need, since I couldn't.
OldGlory
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:38 am   

I'm desperate! I'm very lucky to have you and the gurus! There are about 3 areas that I need to fully evaluate and not sure that I'll ever have that ability! 1) The only creator left in New Moon is junior in rank (unable to get into the mudlib) and I am not his favorite person as he harassed me when he was a child and older - point being he has improperly used his 'powers' on several players and they've never been restored from a void to the game; meaning I'm having thoughts that he's stopping me from logging any of my chars. 2) Unsure of whether my IP may have blocked me for some reason, i.e., I'm online daily for just short of 24 hrs. IP has never done that to me in the past, but times change as well as prices 3) I've tried many times now to do what my guru of the moment told me to do, typed up his words and highlighted them :) and I know he has to be on the right trail, but I think perhaps my 80 years is getting in my way as I'm still being blocked where I need to type my char name and pwd :( Oh. I forgot back in August there was a horrendous thunderstorm (southerners seem to love that for some reason) and there was a quick 'blip' and there's a possibility my bios are messed up. Other than that . . . if I can't figure it out, guess I'll have to return to my genealogy work. . .
Thanks you all :)
TO ACHIEVE A PROMOTION ANYWHERE!
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:22 am   

Well, if the issue is with the effective owner of the game, you will have to resolve issues with them via email or move on to another game.
IP spoofing could potentially get around an IP ban, but that is usually considered malicious intent.

I hate to suggest it, but have you tried connecting with another client to see if it is only with CMUD you are having issues?
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:02 pm   

Grinning. Of course I haven't tried another game (after 20 yrs at this one I think I'm stuck on 'go immediately to New Moon!' LOL
I just knew I was desperate for what's in your brain. Listen, if this all turns out to be ME, please promise you won't laugh at my lack! Promise!! You too, Chiara!!

Thought I'd -try- to give you an idea of what I see if it allows me to post it here. Notice that it shows me as connected and when I 'disconnect' or 'quit' to leave its asks me if I mean to disconnect from NM.

I have to leave the house to buy FOOD! My Jack Russell is pretty demanding about food. So don't rush if you have other things to do.

BTW, I see where you are located, and I'm near Charleston, SC. We probably could open out back doors and shout!

Connected to host eclipse.cs.pdx.edu

LPmud version: MudOS v22.2b9 DEV.

___-------____
-- / \ -- _\|/_
/ \ __ \ \ /|\ *
\___/ \ | \ * / /
| o @@@@@ \@@@@@@ @@@@ @@@@ * / /
__| @@@ @@@ @@| @@@ @@@ // *
\ @@@ @@@ @@@@ @@ @ @@ O
__ \ @@@ @@@ @@| @@ @@@ @@ *
\_/ \ | @@@ @@@ @@@@@@@ @@@@@@
\__/ / *
\ @@@@@@ @@@ @@@ @@@@@ *
\ @@ @@@ @@ /@@ @@ @@ @@ @@@ @@@ __ *
--___ @@@ @__@@@- @@ @@ @@ @@ @@@ @@@ / o \
--@@@--- @@@ @@@ @@@ @@@ @@@ @@@ @@@ | O |
* @@@@ * @@@@ @@@@@ @@@@@ @@@ @@@ \o__ /
The High Lord of New Moon is Bannor. *
This Multi-User Dungeon (MUD) is intended for mature audiences.
Please log on as 'guest' to look around.
Web page: http://eclipse.cs.pdx.edu Twitter: http://twitter.com/NewmoonMUD
Dinkleton is logged on.
Enter your name:
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:54 pm   

So you are actually connecting just fine then.
But after you enter your name and password, are you immediately disconnected, or you just get no further input?
Either one sounds like an issue with your game account, and you need to speak with the admin at Newmoon to resolve that.
Have you tried sending a tweet to the provided twitter handle?
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:43 am   

I get only as far as you see on what I sent earlier--the opening of New Moon to a player. When the blank 'name' appears, that is the point where I can no longer type anything. Nothing. No matter how many times I try, no matter what little silly things I try. I'm sitting here sighing because after you said I need to speak to Admin I know in my heart that it's the bratty child/man who is a junior cre, never completed anything while an apprentice cre, etc. I didn't want it to be him, but I know for a fact that he put one of the older players from 20 yrs ago in a void--all 4 of his chars, no warnings, no explanations, no time periods set, the 4 chars are still in the void (about 4 months now), all of which is against NM's rules by Admin. I am a bit more close to the High Lord/Admin/Owner of NM, but he's just no longer and hasn't been into 'fixing' any coding. I have mailed the Admin a couple of times, and I know the voided chars have mailed him also. In fact, I -think- Admin gave me his personal email. I'll check. God, I don't want it to be case of this bad little boy/man doing bad things in retaliation of his bad feelings (?) and/or paybacks of who knows what. It was there in my head all along and I ignored it every time it popped up, hoping you'd say that it was something I'd done incorrectly. I should have known better. I'm left no choice now. Why do I want everyone to be above board and honest? Such a huge flaw and it gets worse the older I get :( Don't you dare laugh at me now--I don't use twitter, nor chats, nor my cell which is for hailing the police if I need help while tooling about town in my neat car :) I'm a happy, silly computer, game-playing (only NM) ol' woman :)

Since you've been so kind with your time and because I trust you, if I find out anything I shall let you know so you can check your list or not. I cannot repay you cuz I didn't continue learning things when I was cre'ing many many years ago. But I do thank you with all my heart for so much of your time. You too, Chiara!

Off to carefully relay my thoughts to Bannor.
OldGlory
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:00 am   

It's me again. I feel that I have isolated what's causing the inability of my characters to lose the ability to type their names when I log them onto New Moon. I figured eventually that I'd probably find something like that, but of course I am unable to point any fingers which I'd sure like to be able to do. I am so angry because I know this child is sitting there laughing. I've been unable to play since August :(

I can log new chars as well as years-old chars or anywhere in between but absolutely NO CMUD COLORS can be used. My 20yo char has used zMUD-CMUD-everything I liked in colors (many, many colors) and that char is now also broken. I never would have figured this out, Shalimar, if you hadn't told me about using only .dbm and a .pkg file. At least I was able to prove to myself what the problem is, but don't have access to fixing it.

Bannor owner/high lord probably hates my guts because every so often I'd email him thru his non-game mail (not trusting that one child), but there seems to be some sort of disconnect with Bannor now (LOL). My opinion, which apparently carries no weight at all these days, is he's either very sick and/or just tired of dealing with New Moon.

I know there are other games, but this one was perfect for me, so much to do, chars that can be very customized, and it's been very good for this aging brain of mine--until now. At least I know my brain still works.

I do want to be sure that you realize how very appreciative I am of your response to and help with my problems. Had it not been for Chiara and you caring, I would have given up long before figuring out what I know now is the answer to this mess.

P.S. FYI - New Moon has probably 5 - 6 color terminals, not just zMUD/CMUD. But I've become terribly spoiled by CMUD :(
Thanks again, people.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:31 am   

If term ansi is an option, that is a very generic color scheme.
Sorry I could not be of more use.
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:30 pm   

Funny what you just said about colors. As a matter of fact there is term ansi. It's now almost 6AM but I've been lying in bed thinking about the different color options so decided to move. (omg! you posted that at 2:31AM! lol) I will try term ansi although I thought I had; however, I will run through the different color options yet again. I was just wondering if I'd seen that CMUD also has a random type of color setting. Never paid attention to it because after 20 years is there anything new under the sun :) Thanks Shalimar. New Year's Even is a great day to start a New Year.

BTW, all anyone needs when floundering is a voice in the dark throwing out ideas :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: