Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Zugg Software :: View Entry - Choosing a PHP IDE
Post new entry     Home » Forums » Zugg's Blog Goto page Previous  1, 2
ralgith
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:11 am   

Thanks Zugg, I'll look forward to the January posts. And of course I always read multiple opinions. Just seems you and I have much in common in terms of web development ideals, though you have more knowledge.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:51 pm   

You passed new free PHP IDE - Codelobster PHP Edition
It has also special Drupal, Joomla, WordPress, Smarty and JQuery plug-ins.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:04 pm   

Thanks for pointing me to CodeLobster. I gave it a quick try, but it doesn't have the #4 feature that I must have in a PHP Editor (shown on the first page of this blog): FTP Support. I must be able to edit files locally and then easily press one-key (like Ctrl-Shift-U) to upload the modified file to the remote web server.

In general, I found CodeLobster to be a bit rough around the edges. It crashed twice when I was using it (once when I was just using the File/Open dialog to load a file). The Project properties menu doesn't seem to do anything. When I opened an existing set of web files in a directory, it tries to open a SQL connection for some reason (and gives an error).

Without the FTP support, it wasn't worth the time to get more into evaluating it. I have emailed them about FTP support, so maybe they will add it sometime in the future. Then I'll take another look and really evaluate it's reliability and stability.
clod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:12 am   

Hi.

We are going to add FTP support after several versions.
Now we are working on another new very useful feature.

Could you, please provide us more info about crashes?
Already several customers reported us about it, but we can duplicate the problem.
Thefor we will be very appreciate for any additional info.

Project properties allow you to edit Project properties :)

What error do you get with SQL connection?
We parse SQL connection while opening project for very useful SQL autocomplete function.

Regards,
Codelobster Team.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:44 pm   

I'll look into CodeLobster later in the future when you add FTP support. Without FTP I just don't have the time to help with bug fixing, etc. FTP is a *must have* feature for all of the web developers that I know, so hopefully you'll realize this and increase it's priority on your list. I know that the vast majority of web work that I do is all with remote files and not with local files. Even if I have a local copy for testing and debugging, I always need a quick and integrated way to upload the files that I am editing locally.

Project Properties doesn't do anything at all. Doesn't open any dialog or anything.

When I'm just opening an existing project on my local hard disk, the editor should *not* be trying to make any automatic SQL connections. The SQL autocomplete should be a feature that you can enable and not be enabled by default and certainly shouldn't cause any error message about not being able to connect to the SQL database.

Like I said: CodeLobster is still rough around the edges. Good luck with it and let me know when FTP support has been added.
Ibn Saeed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:48 am   

Hello Zugg

Thanks for the wonderful review of PHPed.

I am also in the decision period to either purchase PHPEd or not

I am using a shopping cart which requires Zend Optimizer, most of the IDE apart from PHPEd use Xdebug, and Xdebug is incompatible with Zend Optimizer.

So i am stuck with PHPed, its a great piece of software but its quite expensive.

I did find another php ide known as PHPEdit (www.phpedit.com), have you used it ? Can you do a review on it and compare it with PHPed.
Ibn Saeed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:53 am   

Hello

Just checked PHPEdit, it also uses Xdebug :(

So I think im stuck with PHPEd
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:58 pm   

I haven't used PHPEdit. In my quick look at it, I didn't see any support for CSS, JavaScript or HTML. It seems to be just a PHP editor. And that's certainly not worth the money they are charging for it.
Ibn Saeed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:17 am   

Hello Zugg

I went ahead and purchased PHPEd with their discount offer.

I am really pleased with my purchase :)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:48 pm   

I'm actually in the process of getting all of my software moved to a new Windows 7 computer. Since it's been over a year since I did this evaluation, my PHPEd update subscription expired. Fortunately, the version released last fall seems to work with Windows 7. But it occurs to me that I might update this discussion/review to see if any other editors have improved in the past year. Also, my debugging needs are now less than they were last year. Last year I was writing PHP code using the CodeIgniter framework and needed a lot of PHP debugging. This year I'm writing more Drupal stuff, which I really don't need a debugger for. So I might give a summary of the best PHP editors for both "need debugging" and "don't need debugging". I'll see if I get any free time over the next week or so to play with this before I decide what to install on my Win7 machine.
Ibn Saeed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:52 pm   

Zugg wrote:
I'm actually in the process of getting all of my software moved to a new Windows 7 computer. Since it's been over a year since I did this evaluation, my PHPEd update subscription expired. Fortunately, the version released last fall seems to work with Windows 7. But it occurs to me that I might update this discussion/review to see if any other editors have improved in the past year. Also, my debugging needs are now less than they were last year. Last year I was writing PHP code using the CodeIgniter framework and needed a lot of PHP debugging. This year I'm writing more Drupal stuff, which I really don't need a debugger for. So I might give a summary of the best PHP editors for both "need debugging" and "don't need debugging". I'll see if I get any free time over the next week or so to play with this before I decide what to install on my Win7 machine.

I use PHPEd mainly for debugging my shopping cart, as my shopping cart uses ZEnd Optimizer, and sadly its not compatible with Xdebug which netbeans and other php ide's use.

So i played with PHPEd a lot and got used to it, it was quite fast as its written in C++ i think. not like Zend studio, thats a resource hog.

Actually, i am quite pleased with the speed and performance of PHPEd on my Windows XP, especially its remote debugging from within the browser.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:48 pm   

I agree. I really dislike the poor performance of the Java-based tools like Zend, Aptana, and Eclipse compared to the native Win32 applications. I'm pretty pleased with PHPEd too and just wish the cost was a bit lower for both the main program and their upgrades.
Ibn Saeed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:16 pm   

Zugg wrote:
I agree. I really dislike the poor performance of the Java-based tools like Zend, Aptana, and Eclipse compared to the native Win32 applications. I'm pretty pleased with PHPEd too and just wish the cost was a bit lower for both the main program and their upgrades.

I purchased it for $197, the professional edition with their december discount along with 10% Discount from coupon site.

But i guess it what you get what you pay for. Komodo Edit pro is around $300.00
Post new entry   Reply to entry     Home » Forums » Zugg's Blog All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: