Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:02 am   

About the new Script Wizard and Pattern Wizard

The 3.16 Beta version contains two huge new features: a Script Wizard and a Trigger Pattern Wizard. These new features are integrated into the existing Package Editor as new tabs. By default when you create a new setting or edit an existing setting, the new wizard tab will be shown. To return to the previous behavior, a new menu option called "Use Wizards" was added. If you disable the "Use Wizards" option, then the Package Editor will revert to showing the normal script view when creating a new setting or editing an existing setting.

However, for Beta Testing purposes, please keep the "Use Wizards" option enabled and start playing with these new features. These two new features will be very important to new/novice CMUD users and will be a big part of the reason for upgrading from zMUD or from prior versions of CMUD. So it's very important that we debug these new features as thoroughly as possible.

IMPORTANT It is VERY important with these new wizards to post high-quality bug reports that contain the exact procedure used to see the bug. You will need to post your exact Script for the Script Wizard, and exact Trigger Pattern and Sample Text field values for the Pattern Wizard. Along with a specific step-by-step procedure explaining exactly what you typed and clicked on. This is more important than ever because the new wizards are extremely complex and debugging without this information will be nearly impossible. Bug reports without this required information will be ignored.

REMEMBER: Post bug reports in a NEW TOPIC with a subject line that contains the version of CMUD you are using.

I will update this topic in a few days with more documentation on how the new wizards work. For now I'd like you to try and figure them out on your own. After all, these wizards are intended for novice users and if you can't figure it out without documentation (that novice users probably won't read anyway), then it's a problem. So feel free to post usability suggestions as well as bug reports.

I hope you like these new features. The Alpha testers were pretty thrilled with them and I think they are something CMUD (and zMUD) have needed for a long time. Enjoy!

Last edited by Zugg on Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:56 pm   

Interesting addition, but why was the trigger testing section removed?
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:29 am   

I guess because you can add the text you want to match and it builds the trigger pattern for you so you don't need to test it because it will already work.
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 10:36 pm   

The trigger tester is already built-into the new trigger wizard. As you type into the "Text to Match" field, the current trigger pattern will be automatically tested against whatever you type and you'll see the "Pattern Matched" or "Pattern doesnt match" text.

So basically it's like the tester was fully integrated and is always enabled within the wizard. You no longer need a separate "Test" button.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:27 pm   

Yea, so I have found out... i was just a lil confused when i first got the new version... is there a way to set it up so that the 'Script text' tab opens by default instead of the new pattern wizard?
GURU

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:39 am   

Yep. It's in the Editor menu in the Package Editor, all the way at the bottom of the list. It doesn't HIDE the wizard tab, it just doesn't flip to it when you have this option turned off. There are similar options to show/hide the advanced tabs, though those do remove/show those tabs.
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 4:41 pm   

This option is explained in the first post above. And as it says above, please keep this option turned off for Beta Testing purposes. I need more feedback and bug reports about the Script and Pattern wizards.
chumppi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:58 pm   

I HATE THE FACT that you have to press the fricking drop-down arrow to modify your trigger. It can only have like 30 chars on the line and then you have to click the menu, it's fricking annoying. + Even then when you click the dropdown menu, modify the trigger, it doesn't popup the "save" or "cancel" buttons but they're grey, when you click save it just saves it.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:03 am   

Perhaps the same code that allows the command line to enlarge as needed could be applied to the trigger pattern text area?
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:05 pm   

This is actually a bug in the pattern editor, so you should have normally posted this in the Beta Forum as a bug report rather than just complaining here.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:56 pm   

This topic has been moved to the documentation for the Script Wizard and Pattern Wizard
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: