Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Josiah.Bruns
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:10 am   

What is the proper way to play multiple chars?

I am confused as to the proper way to do this.

i have done it by opening one session and then creating multiple windows in that session.

i think i have done it by creating multiple sessions and then some how joining all thoses sessions to one.

it seems that since each session can only have one #ch that multiple sessions might be the way to go.

the term session seems to be a bit confusing too. does it refer to the list of connections when you open the cmud program or does it refer to each tab in your program editor.

these are the terms that i think are invovled with this.

is a connection and a session the same thing?
how many chars should i have per ???

there are:
sessions on session can have multiple packages
packages one package can have multiple classes
classes

Any help understanding this would be appreciated. thanks
Josiah.Bruns
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:55 pm   hrmm

it seems that the term window and package are basically the same thing except a window is a package on steroids.

both can have multiple classes and can inherit from other classes.

i can't seem to see the object that holds these packages and windows. i am assuming its called either a session or a connection.

it seems that when i open multiple chars on the same game i can do it 2 ways. either create a window in the current session or create a new sessions.

it is difficult to see if this is what i am doing because with the multiple session instance it seems to sometimes squish all my sessions together into one session or some such thing.

any help would be really nice.
Josiah.Bruns
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:09 pm   

also is a package and a module the same thing?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:44 pm   

A package can hold multiple windows and multiple modules. A module is like a "super class" that holds scripts, but doesn't have any visible window. For example, a package that contains a module can be shared between multiple sessions to allow each session to share the scripts in the package.

A Session is a collection of packages. Each session has a "primary package" that contains at least one window for the session. If you click Edit Session and go to the Files/Packages tab you can set the primary package name and also select which other packages you want to load. For example, most Sessions load the "English Directions" and "English Keypad" packages for speedwalking.

Typically, each *character* will have it's own session. You can open multiple sessions (use the Session button in the toolbar). Once you have loaded multiple sessions, you can use the File/Save Session As menu option to save this as a "super session" which will create a single icon that you can use in the future to load all of the sessions saved with it.

The "New Connection" option in the Session drop-down menu allows you to just quickly create a new window to connect to some other host. In 2.37, this extra window gets saved with your main session, which is a bug. This bug was recently fixed in the 3.11 BETA version. In the new Beta, using New Connection will let you open a quick new window but won't effect your current session files. This is useful for Sys Admins that need to connect to a bunch of different windows but don't want to save these as sessions.

Hope this helps with the terminology. Also see here: terms
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: