Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Yadanip

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:57 pm   

Packaging CMUD to run on U3 smart USB drives

Any plans to package CMUD to run on the U3 smart drives?
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:41 pm   

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=25127&view=next
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:09 am   

Pretty sure that was a mis-paste. What Rorso means is that it was discussed, but dismissed because U3 is what Zugg described as something like "some company's pet standard" - when there's microsoft or some other arching support for it, it'll be considered.

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:34 am   

This might have been the link Rorso wanted to paste: http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=25102
There is some hope for U3 since it appears that the new versions of the copy protection system do support it.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:42 am   

Seb wrote:
This might have been the link Rorso wanted to paste: http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=25102
There is some hope for U3 since it appears that the new versions of the copy protection system do support it.

That's really weird! I have no idea how I managed to paste the wrong link like that. Thanks for posting the correct one.
Yadanip

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:25 pm   

Armadillo v4.44 supports the U3 drives. And U3 drives are certainly becoming commonplace.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 11:51 pm   

Yes, no need to paraphrase what I said above and repeat what you said in the thread I linked to. I'm sure Zugg will look into it some time next year.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:50 pm   

By the way, the information that I got from Armadillo is that what they mean by "U3 support" is that the unique serial number embedded in each U3 drive can be used to create a hardware-specific license key. It also requires using the full Digital River version of Armadillo (called SoftwarePassport) which uses a server-based system similiar to eLicense.

Needless to say, I am *not* using the Digital River stuff since I don't want a server-based system that works like eLicense. And I don't want to generate hardware-specific license keys that require a server-based license system.

So yes, it is possible to do copy protection that supports U3 drives, but such a system would be a much bigger headable for all users, even those who don't use USB drives. And I'm not willing to do this.

As I posted in the Beta thread mentioned above, if you simply want to move your datafiles between computers on a USB drive, you can already do this. Simple edit your DataDir registry key to point to a folder on your USB drive. Then just install CMUD on each machine and use the USB drive to move your files around. This works great and doesn't need any fancy U3 support.

At this time, I have no plans to support U3 drives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: