Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
balrugh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:47 am   

cmud for u3?

I want to know if you plan cmud to have u3 support for u3 drives.

With it, you can carry your cmud copy in your portable drive everywhere without the need of install cmud in all computers (And having your register key secured).

I think in this because i connect in a ciber, in my home, in the office and don't like to carry with the risk that forgot my key in another place.

Thank you.

Balrugh.

PD: Sorry for my english.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:39 pm   

It's been asked before. The answer is no. There are too many issues with using CMUD from a flash drive, and it just won't happen.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:22 pm   

It's actually something that is out of my hands. We use a copy protection system called Armadillo. The people who write this copy protection would need to include specific support for u3 drives. And until a real non-proprietary standard is reached for secure removeable drives, I'd doubt Armadillo will support something like this. The current copy protection interacts with the Windows system registry, so it's probably going to require support built into Windows before companies like Armadillo can do stuff like this.
Yadanip

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:02 pm   

Armadillo v4.44 supports the U3 USB drives. Any chance you can look into it?
mckimmins

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:12 pm   U3 is Great!

I really hope cmud will support a U3 installation. Currently I use putty for U3 but this leaves me without my zmud scripts, aliases, etc. This would enable those of us with a thumbdrive to travel anywhere and use our client with all of the settings we like while only using one license. I would be able to go from home, to laptop, to work pc with cmud and no hassles!!!!
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:49 pm   

If you just want to share your datafiles between computers, you can already do this with CMUD.

Go into RegEdit and find the HKEY_LOCAL_COMPUTER/Software/Zuggsoft/CMUD key. Look for the DataDir value. This is the directory where CMUD looks for data files. Change this to your USB drive on each computer that CMUD is installed on (something like D:/CMUD if D: is your USB drive for example). Now you can keep your data files on the USB drive and move it between computers.

Yes, you will need to install CMUD on each computer, but that should be easy. But this handles the "home, laptop, work pc" just fine.
gicker42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:01 pm   

Hi guys,

Found this thread via google search, and apologize for bumping a 3 year old thread, but with the advent of software like dropbox http://www.dropbox.com/ you can sync files between computers easily. So you just have to do as Zugg said above and make your save directory one that's in your dropbox folder.

Cheers,

Gicker
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: