Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:27 pm   

New features added to zMemo

OK, I think I'm about done with the zMemo control now. I finished documenting it today, and finished adding a bunch of new properties and methods.

Here is what is new/changed:
  1. The SelStart, SelEnd, Caret, etc no longer use the wierd Int64 locations. Normal integer locations in the memo are now fully supported, just like regular rich text controls.
  2. Added SaveToFile to save the memo to various file formats
  3. Added LoadFromFile to load a file in various formats into the memo
  4. Added InsertTemplate and UpdateTemplate to support the new template features from scripting
  5. Added InsertPicture to insert a graphic (bmp,gif,jpg,png) to the memo. You can also insert any predefined image, or images from a resource in your DLL.
  6. Added AddControl which allows you to insert ANY visual zApp control into the memo. This is a very powerful feature that has all sorts of possibilities. The inserted controls can still be named and manipulated in your script just like any other zApp control.
  7. Added SearchText to locate specific text in the memo and select it
  8. Added Mark and MarkBetween methods for highlighting text in the memo, or text between delimiters. This will allow the future syntax highlighting features.
  9. Added the OnHighlight event to support syntax highlighting
  10. fixed various bugs that could cause an extra blank line at the beginning of the text when adding lines or loading files.
I think you'll agree that the zMemo component is one of the most powerful controls in zApp and is probably the most feature-rich memo control of any other programming language.

Enjoy!

(I'll release this new build later in the week)
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:40 pm   

Shocked You never stop do you? I wanted something like #6 but wasn't even going to ask for it. Wink That is awesome!
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:03 am   

Question: If I add controls to the zMemo and use SaveToFile, when I reload the document will the controls be there (in other words, is that information stored in the zMemo file?)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:12 am   

Actually, I don't think so. That's an interesting idea though. After this initial release I might look into how the RVF file format is saved. I think there are hooks for custom controls like that. But the actual RichView control has no idea how to create zApp controls, so there isn't any way for it to support this "out of the box".

Certainly neither RTF nor HTML support the syntax needed for this. But the RVF (RichView format) is customizeable, and I think the XML format is customizeable also.
Krule
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:07 am   

Could you enlighten my small mind? How is adding a control to a document of any value?? I just don't see an example, I'm sure once I hear one I'll look like an idiot :p

(Is this akin to adding an activex control to an html page?)
Tarn
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:28 am   

Krule wrote:
Could you enlighten my small mind? How is adding a control to a document of any value?? I just don't see an example, I'm sure once I hear one I'll look like an idiot :p

(Is this akin to adding an activex control to an html page?)

The first thing that comes to mind for me is giving the user choices within a document- combobox, radiobutton, whatever.

It might also be nice to embed a Grid control into the document, or something like a picturebox.

-Tarn
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:02 am   

Well, it's true that in most cases you'll just want to add a control normally to the form.

But in thinking about the eMobius email client, for example, I can think of cases where I might want to add buttons to the email preview panel itself. Like a button to add a meeting to the calendar, and stuff like that. These can be dynamically generated within the content of the memo control and would scroll with the memo and be linked with it.

Or, imagine an application where you create a template message by filling in fields that are directly within the memo control, sort of like an HTML form. Normally, when putting a control on a form you have to position it with X,Y coordinates or with alignment and anchoring. By allowing controls within the memo text you get something more like a web browser interface. So you get your choice of both methods, which just opens up the possibilities for applications.

Anyway, I'm sure other people will come up with even more interesting ideas.
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:45 am   

Zugg, I was pretty much thinking along the lines you mentioned. It could become a pseudo-HTML. It might be very useful for my TCS application.
Krule
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:59 am   

Ahhhh..sounds intreaquing...

I like the features that benefit eMobius...anything to make handling my e-mail / scheduling / tasks better is going to be a godsend ;)
kawawong
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:21 pm   

Many exciting features are coming out these days, and I can't wait to test it now. Great! Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: