Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum Goto page Previous  1, 2
The Raven Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:08 am
[1.11] Disabling Special Characters
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:27 pm   

Btw, processing Command Input triggers even when parsing is toggled off (Ctrl-R) has just been added to v1.12.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:39 pm   

We use a C++ syntax for our MUD scripting language, so we have plenty of semi-colons in our scripts... I've never actually had an issue with the | character even though it has multiple uses (eg the string lists)... anyway, some specific examples:

Code:
aco act_tochar( ch, mob, "$N waves to you." );

drops the trailing semi-colon

Code:
aco for( int i = 0; i < 10; i++ ) {

generates an error parsing the command

it is a lot better than it used to be, and on the command line I am partial to using shift+enter rather than the | or ; anyway ... for me I think I would be happy to have an option "only allow shift+enter to break lines on command line", I don't really care what separator gets used for open-door commands, scripts, etc
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:50 am   

Seems like you should be using the text editor with it's own parse option turned off for sending large C++ scripts to the MUD. That's what it was designed for. I can't see the CMUD command line every handling stuff like C++ syntax (except when Parse mode is off). I'm more concerned with stuff that *players* need to do (like supporting MUSH players as Zhiroc was mentioning). Coders and Builders should be using the separate Editor window, especially since it now easily docks with the interface. It's a lot easier to do multiline MUD coding from that.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:14 am   

Because of the way our sript system works I usually write my MUD code one line at a time, not using the editor. Also, it is not practical to open up the editor just to change one line of code which might be buggy or have a typo... I mean what if I wanted to change '$N waves at you' to '$N waves happily at you'... I'm definatley not going to open up a window just to do that. Hence why I use | because it's never used in my daily interactions with the MUD plus it's not a pain to type when I do need to use it.

If I can't have |, then I think I'd rather not have anything and just use shift enter.
darkspot
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:10 pm   

well if you wanted to use the ` char... couldn't you just go `` to send it? since the rest of the line would get sent by default?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:30 pm   

Yep, using `` should work fine to send a single ` at the beginning of the line.
Chris_3413
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:33 am   

Laughing i wonder if i'm the only person to ever use ` frequently.. almost since day one ive always changed my command separator from ; to ` with zMud as a workaround to make certain smiley's work .. now that cMud wont need this workaround it looks like i'll have to convert every single multi-command script I have so it will work Laughing

ps. I downloaded the 30 day trial and liked what I saw enough that ive now purchased a cMud license, keep up the good work zugg
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:18 pm   

; is the default delim in BatMUD. | i used to pipe info trough one funktion into another. ' is shortcut for saying stuff. # is used to show how many rounds is left of spell/skill. $ is used inside commands to jump between paramets. \ is used for escape character when grepin data from one source to another.

I honestly don't know how i could play without the shift+enter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: