Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Merzbow
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:01 pm   

packages, modules, and windows - what is going on?

The whole thing with packages/modules/windows is outrageously confusing. I made a new session called "Merzbow". All I want to do is create a shared package that I save in a separate file with some settings. Here's what I do:

1. Click the 'Settings' icon and go to the Settings dialog.
2. Go to "File-New Package"
3. A blank WINDOW entry appears at the top. (Why a window and not a package?)
4. I type in "gs4" as the name and save. It creates a new WINDOW tab in the main window.
5. This is not what I want. I want a package. I look at the Settings dialog and see I can 'convert' it to a module. (What is a module and why is there no option to convert to a package?)
6. I convert anyways and am prompted to save. I save as gs4.pkg (umm I thought it was a module and not a package?). I get a cMUD crash dialog, but these happen so often I just hit Continue.
7. Now gs4 is a module, and it has a list of 'packages enabled for it', just like my main window for the session (Merzbow). (I don't want a module that includes packages, I want a PACKAGE, which is why I chose to create a new PACKAGE).
8. I close the Settings dialog and click the Settings tab on the right part of the screen. Nowhere do I see the gs4 whatever that I created, so I have no way to add settings to it.
9. To add insult to injury, I click the 'Sessions' button, and notice my session has been renamed from Merzbow to gs4! I throw up my hands in disgust.

OK, what the heck is going on? Seriously, this entire architecture has to be made an order of magnitude simpler before reelease.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:26 am   

People, you are *seriously* testing my patience.

IF YOU ARE GOING TO USE A BETA PROGRAM, THEN READ THE OTHER POSTS IN THIS FORUM!!!!

If you take the time to read the other posts in this forum, then you would know that:

a) A "Package" is just a *.PKG file that contains multiple windows/modules
b) A Package must have at least one window/module
c) So when you create a new package, you get a new window.
d) A "Module" is a set of aliases, triggers, etc without any window

and most importantly:

e) v1.06 has several bugs with packages, sessions, etc and ISN'T WORKING YET.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:03 am   

Sorry if that came across harsher than I intended...it's been an annoying day.

But my point is that since CMUD currently doesn't have any help files, you need to read the posts in this forum and keep up with the discussions to really understand what's going on. If you think that you need more documentation, then you shouldn't be using CMUD yet. Remember that you should be *Beta Testing* CMUD and not trying to use it as a normal MUD client yet.

There will eventually be several articles and help files describing the package system. These articles and help files don't exist yet because the package system is still undergoing huge changes. It is not expected that novice users will be able to use the package system yet...there are too many rough edges (as you found).
Merzbow
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:55 am   

I read many of the posts on this forum. All the ones about packages etc. I pulled up were essays at least 3 pages long that already assumed deep familiarity with the concepts being mentioned. Lacking an explanation of the concepts, I mistakingly assumed it would be clear from the UI.

Seriously, as an experienced software engineer myself, this is not beta quality, this is alpha quality (if that, more like a "friends and family"). I've developed and shipped half a dozen major software applications (or substantial portions thereof) of my own. The comments I made were from the perspective of assuming a beta quality product, as was advertised. There is a single success path for most operations, but any deviation at all generates a crash or other misbehavior, and major pieces of functionality like automapping appear to be dormant. I appreciate the thinking behind putting this out to the public so early, but in the state that it's in I think it's counterproductive to do so. It would have been better to restrict this to 50 people or so until at least December when it's likely to be beta quality.

Otherwise, don't be surprised when people who are experienced zMUD users but who haven't been reading every post on the cMUD forum since the beginning make the observations I make. You honestly don't need my feedback at this point (but I gave it anyway, as I'm wont to do) - you seem to be aware of the glaring limitations in this version currently. You'll need my feedback when you think it all works, not when you know it doesn't. Then we'll try it and find bugs when importing thousands of varieties of scripts, maps, installation environments, etc.
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:17 pm   

oh heck, so i've been wrong about something this whole time.
I'm looking for MODULES and not PACKAGES?
I don't need windows opened.
Hrmm. kewl. learned something here :)
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:26 pm   

yeah zugg explained this in a topic a while back. There are definatly somethings that need work in there.. Thats why we try to break it. So zugg can fix it and others dont have the problem :P

Package
----> Module (No window)
----> Window (Tells etc.)

You can use the convert to Module/Window to alter what you have made already.

Gotta Love Betas \(^-^)/
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:12 am   

So glad I found this thread.. reading for the fourth time.. the post above has a diagram Yes ! very helpful..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:38 am   packages, modules, and windows - what is going on?

My slight elaboration of his package is graphics.py in the example programs. ... Zelle designed the graphics module so you must tell Python into which GraphWin ... for the vertical direction, increases going down from the top of the window, In this post, Maxim Koretskyi and I, are going to show you how to set-up ... Angular packages, settings up TypeScript, configuring a module loader.
If you want to install the package from sources you can go on reading to the next ... its own Windows binaries too; go Binary installation (Windows) for instructions.
https://customersurveyinfo.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: