Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMapper Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2
PHLN Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:08 pm
Weird Access Violation Message
starfire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:17 pm   

I too am getting this exact same error message. The last time I ran zmapper (before this error started appearing) I received a "cannot write to file" error message when exiting from zmapper.

I'm running Windows XP SP1, and am using the zmapper in trial/unlicensed mode. Just before this error started appearing, I did a reinstall of Windows XP (to fix some other problems with my system). Since then I've been unable to open a database, or create a new one, effectively rendering zmapper unusable.

Solutions I've tried that haven't worked:
uninstalling zmapper (uninstall process ran okay, but did not remove itself from the add/remove programs list) then reinstalling to a different directory. Uninstalling zmapper, deleting the directory, uninstalling elicense manager, then reinstalling zmapper. The second time I uninstalled zmapper, it did uninstall properly, and removed itself from the programs list.

I can send you a copy of the last database I was working with, if you'd like. It's under 1MB, even uncompressed, since I'm just using it to map the mazes for a psx game I'm playing right now.
bellydancefae

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:20 am   

I just purchased and downloaded zMapper and zMud today, and I too am getting those error messages whenever I try to start zMapper.
When I try to start up the program, I get:
Access violation at address 00FB767F. Read of address 00000000.

Then, when I try to close the program with either CTRL-ALT-DELETE or right-clicking on the task bar button, I get: ZoneTbl: Cannot perform this operation on a closed dataset.

Clicking OK on either one of these messages just brings up the latter error again.

I'd really like for this to work! It doesn't seem like any new solutions have been posted in almost a year :/s
Szereck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:08 am   

I'm getting access violations as well. Only I'm not getting them when I load the program. At least not yet that I know of. I'm getting them while I'm creating rooms with the keyboard creation option. I'm also randomly getting an 'Invalid pointer operation.' error. So far as I can tell they don't effect anything. The access violations I've gotten are:

Access violation at address 7C809E45 in module 'kernal32.dll'. Read address 03974000.

Access violation at address 0059AAE0 in module 'zMapper.exe'. Read address 00000009.

I'm running XP Pro SP2
Szereck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:27 am   

Ok to add to my last message. I just got the following when I tried to change a room's properties:

Error: Access violation at 0x0353319F (tried to write to 0x00030F9C), program terminated.

I assume I'm going to have nothing but trouble from here on out.
Szereck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:18 am   

I have found that if you close the zMapper and open it again after an access violation then you have less of a chance of corrupting your database. If you do not and keep saying ok when it tells you about an access violation then it will get to the point that whatever zone you are working on will be so corrupt that the program gets a memory leak and essentially locks the computer up every time you try to load that zone. I assume a memory leak because I watched the program's memory usage jump from 19MB up to 300+MB in a matter of seconds while trying to load a corrupted zone and it was still climbing when I killed the process. Also it would appear that this is all linked to the 'Keyboard creation' function of the program as that is the only time I've encountered the errors.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:31 pm   

Yes, that is true. An "Access violation" means that invalid memory has been accessed and that means memory is messed up. If you keep using a program after this then it will usually just cause more and more errors. And if you save a file after an access violation, then you might be saving corrupted memory to the file.
Szereck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:29 am   

Any estimate as to when you might have a fix to these problems, Zugg?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:58 pm   

I won't be working on the rewrite of zMapper for CMUD until after the public release of CMUD and after I have converted the database module to CMUD. So, we are looking at next year sometime. Since most of these problems are caused by issues with the Microsoft MDAC stuff, I will be replacing MDAC/ADO with a proper SQL database.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMapper Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: