Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
RikuoVW

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:31 pm   

New to Zmud

I am fairly new at using this program. I have tried reading the help files on making triggers and macros and etc. To be honest, it does not make any sense * Rofl* Is there an actual website where it it explains more better? a website for dumbies?
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:48 pm   

Well this is the website. There are many examples of triggers, questions regarding them and their answers that can be found by searching the forums. In addition there are many finished scripts with explations available in he Finished Scripts section of the Forums.

Finally if you post your specific question, many of the other forum members like myself will be more than happy to assist you.
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:51 pm   

You can also select the Support/zMUD Support menu at the top of the page to get a list of various zMUD articles. Some of them were written for a cancelled book project and might be easier to follow than the help files. Even though the articles were written for an older version of zMUD, the same concepts still apply to the latest version.

And as Tech mentioned, feel free to ask specific questions here in this forum. There are lots of helpful people around here.
RikuoVW

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:24 pm   

Okay. I have been reading around on the Forums. I have a general idea on how to make basic triggers/aliases. I play on a Pure PK mud. I am trying to establish good defensive commands when fighting. For instance, If I was fighting someone and I wanted to flee the room and come back into the room and re-attack. Would triggers be the best solution to use? or would this become more detailed involving scripts and such? Could someone provide me an example of a basic trigger to be used to make something like this?

Rik - Still learning :)
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:54 pm   

It depends on the particulars of what you want to do and how you want to do it.

For example, if you want to flee only when you HP is below a certain limit, then this would involve a trigger that matches on your HP display and proceeds to check if it is below some level in order to flee. If instead what you want is to be able to enter some command into zMUD when you need to flee so that it comes back into the room later, then an alias is the way to go.

The way either of these two would be implemented also depends on what exactly you want to do after you flee the room and what your MUD tells you. Important information such as if the MUD tells you in which direction you fled, if you want to wait a preset amount of time before going back into the room, if you want to wait until you HP goes above some level before going back into the room, if you want the script to automatically re-attack when it goes back into the room or if you want it to do nothing so that you can decide the best action.

If the script is going to automatically re-attack the player you were fighting, then you also have to consider how to let zMUD know who is the last player you were fighting. This would be stored inside a variable, so that other scripts can use the value of this variable. Then you also have to consider when this variable is going to be updated. The most common way of doing this is to create an alias that is named exactly like the command you use to attack and have it store the name of the player you attacked into the variable. However, this wouldn't work for when you are initially attacked by someone else. In this case, a trigger would be necessary.

zMUD allows you to accomplish one task in many different ways. This can be frustrating at times, but it also makes zMUD very powerful. As you can see, the specific way to accomplish something depends heavily on the specific details of your MUD and what you are trying to do.

If you have any other questions in general about zMUD or how it works, ask them here. However, if you need some example code or specific details on how to do something, then post very specific details on what you are trying to do, how you want it to be done, and the accompanying MUD text for what you are describing. You can never provide too much details.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: