Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:36 pm   

MXP Tooltips

I was thinking last night about the 'hint' property on the MXP links... I want them to support full MXP inside the hint instead of using the standard windows tooltips.

The reason I say this is I would like to do what a lot of the MMORPG's are doing these days and have a nice colourful tooltip which says the stats of an item just dropped by a mob and do a quick compare it to the item which you are wearing.

Certainly not a requirement for the first beta, but it would be nice to have implemented during the beta phase when you are adding extensions to MXP.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:39 am   

I'll think about it, but it's not easy. This isn't supported by the standard Windows tooltip system, so I'd either have to write my own (very time consuming) or find a 3rd party component that does a good job of this. I don't think the Developer Express components have anything like this.

Also, it probably wouldn't handle full MXP. It would probably only handle HTML tags, unless I wrote the system myself. This isn't a big deal since the only big difference between MXP tags and HTML tags is the SEND stuff, and having a SEND hyperlink in a tooltip wouldn't make sense anyway since you can't click on it. So mainly I think you are probably just asking for formatting and color, and HTML tags should handle this just fine. The chance of finding a 3rd party hint system that supports HTML is a bit higher.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:11 am   

Yeah I was meaning the formatting and colours - being able to change the font and maybe put a pretty border around it or an image in it (though I'm not sure about images, adds a lot more work to the item creation process if you need assorted icons to go with). I suppose I was thinking something like a floating status window that fades in and out when you hover... since you can only have one tooltip hovered at a time you probably could just use the same status window just reposition it... but I dunno how to capture the "OnToolTip" type events.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: