Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Indigoblue

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:16 pm   

To Zugg, don't forget the small things!

I've been a zMUD user for years now, but recently I came VERY close to switching to Mushclient over a very simple feature. I'm not a heavy user of triggers, status bars or anything like that but what I do value zMUD for are the great features like the editor and the knowledge that I could use the mapper if I wanted to. The single feature which made me nearly switch to Mushclient is the timestamps embedded into the lines. A picture from the mushclient site shows that this is how it looks:

Will this feature be added to CMUD? The only thing which actually stopped me switching over to Mushclient is that it lacks the splitscreen scrolling which I have come to cherish on my zMUD. I believe firmly that for a lot of users like myself, these small additions are what build fondness of the client and keep us loyal to it. Please don't leave this out!
bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:44 pm   

Indigoblue,

I'm not sure what you are talking about here. Here are some questions that I bet Zugg will want to know the answers as well:

1) Does the tooltip in the graphic appears when you move the cursor over any line of text?

2) Why is this feature so important to you? You didn't say in your post.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:15 pm   

Well I add the time to the front of all my prompts via a prompt substitution, because if I'm idling (semi or completely afk) I often want to know when something happened. And even if I'm watching my screen, I sometimes like to know when something happened (when I scroll back). But if there was a tooltip for each line, make sure it can be switched off! I imagine it might annoy some people.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:30 pm   

Actually not a bad idea, I certainly wouldn't want them showing up just by hovering - that would get annoying - but maybe if I hold down 'shift' and hover, or right click, or something.

Certainly would find use for it, especially if it was customizable - for example I would like mine to say: "2 hours 31 minutes ago (2005-11-28 07:58:39)"
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:36 am   

Actually, it's a pretty good idea and is a nice compromise between using up the screen space to put the timestamp on every line (like the prompt replacement method) and not having any timestamps at all. It might even be relatively easy to implement. I'll certainly consider adding something like this to CMUD, but you'll have to wait until later during the beta testing process when I start to add more cool new features like this.

Also, I'm thinking that maybe it wouldn't get displayed anywhere, but only when you hover the mouse over the margin just to the left of the line on the screen, or something like that. And certainly it would need to be customizeable.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:42 am   

Oh, and don't worry, I know all about the "small things". That's really what both zMUD and CMUD are all about. I would have had CMUD released months ago if it wasn't for all of the "small things" that I'm adding, fixing, etc. And I had forgotten about how many small things there already were in zMUD until I started porting it. There are *lots* of little things that zMUD does that people tend to forget about. In fact, the best way to tell that a program gets all of the little stuff right is when you don't even think about it.

It's the little details that just give you that warm fuzzy feeling about a program. zMUD has it, and I'm confident that CMUD will eventually have that quality even more than zMUD.

But it's up to you to make these kind of suggestions. I'd never be able to think of all of these ideas myself. For example, the mouse-over timestamp is never something I would have thought about, so thanks for suggesting it.

I tend not to look to closely at the competition. It's more important for me to implement what *you* want as the customer. So keep your suggestions coming!
Indigoblue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:28 am   

Thank you for the reply Zugg, I'm glad you're considering adding it - good luck with CMUD I'll be using it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: