Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
BlackSmith
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:27 am   

five simple wishes

You have mentioned how you would like people to stop using #wait.
Well, my humble opinnion would be that ditch the whole use of the present wait and force people to use #alarm. With a _good_ help files and examples this would not be any problem (i have found the alarm replacement to wait only reasently, no thanks to help files).

Instead convert the #wait to wait X many rows of input until doing the next thing in line.

e.g.
#T (dööd) {#Wait 3 ;#Echo shoot}
dööd
blaa blaa
blaaa
bla bla
shoot
bla bla bla

Secondly, i would like that the client (mapper more precicely) would understand that every feed that i get from mud that has X Y Z (i personally got timestamps) is part of my prompt.
As my prompt keeps changing all the time, the mapper goes nuts.

Thidly, a way to compare two time stamps.
This can be made with very complex triggers and maths that include too much if's to be runned effectively for 20 times in a row (e.g. for reporting protection spells or to calcualte how long a item has got a aura)

Timestamps to the left/right side of the input.
Nothing more grand. Just a option to see the flow of time constantly. Also possible to do trough (complex) triggers but would be nice to simply turn it off or on from preference.

Oh, last but not least. Wider data records (and please cosnider renaming them so searching help to use em would be bit da easier).
Instead of two collumed tables, three. Feels stupid to make different database for every attack type i have just to keep record how much did my blast cost, who did i shoot and when/what number was it.
Its doable with two colum tables but it sure aint preaty and its pain in the ass to handle.
edb6377
Magician

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:12 am   

OKay i will address a few of these things.

1.) I actually agree with you here, Wait really should be deprecated. However i think we brought this up before and someone actually had a use for it. Unsure though.

2.) Sounds like you need to setup your prompt detection to account for that using regex if need be.

3.) comparing two timestamps isnt complicated at all. Realizing of course that zmud allows you many different tools. Jscript, VB Script, PERL and of course MATH operations of TIME. Although it would be nice to not have to script it the only thing i ever use it for is my chat logs so im ok with the simple script i have to add it. Everything is simple conversions.

i.e.
Spell: water invocation - Level 241, modifies none by 0 for 64 minutes. <--- IS actually as simple as 64/4=16 minutes of real time since game runs at 1 min per 15 seconds of real time.

4.) Timestamps also easy to do and you can setup and alias to turn them off and on quite easily %time is a great too for that.

#ONINPUT {*} {#SUB %time %line} i think. have to look it up for sure. Stick it in a class folder and a simple ts on ts off command or a button could do the rest.

Or for my logs using regex
Code:

#REGEX {^(?:>\s|)(You tell \w+ '|\w+ tells you|\w+ LTs \(.+\)|You LT \(.+\))\:?(.*)$$(.*)$$} {:Tells:#SAYPROMPT {%cr%ansi( bold, blue)"["%time( hh:mm)"] "%ansi( bold, cyan)"["%1"]: "%ansi( bold, grey)%2}}
#CONDITION {^ +(?:LT\:)?(.*)$$} {
  #GAG
  :Tells:#SAYPROMPT {%ansi( bold, grey)" "%1}
  } {looppat|prompt|regex}

WITHOUT REGEX
Code:

#TRIGGER {(*) tells you '(*)'} {#file 1 logging.log;#gag;#write 1 {~#echo ~%ansi(red, high)%time: %1 tells you '%2'};#close 1;#gag}

5.) Datarecords can actually hold quite a bit of data you just have to reference each field. It might be 2 wide but its also in a way not.

{#ADDKEY EQUIPMENT AClass {%1}}
{#ADDKEY EQUIPMENT Weight {%1}}
{#ADDKEY EQUIPMENT Cost {%1}}
{#ADDKEY EQUIPMENT Type {%1}}
By specifying the extra category its now
EQ DB with aclass but you can keep expanding

I currently have a few that are 16-20 fields wide in relation to the record.
Seb
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 12:20 am   

Actually if there was a %time option to generate a seconds since 01/01/1900 or whatever date value, that would be very useful. I'm doing some zscripting to calculate the seconds since midnight, and then some more zscripting to calculate the difference of two since-midnight-timestamps, but I have to have conditional code since I might be comparing 1 am today with 2 pm yesterday, in which case the difference would be negative, despite the fact that today is after yesterday. So it's a bit of a mess. And I do this EVERY second to update my game time clock! It's horribly ugly! It seems to work quite efficiently though in zMUD, which surprised me a bit.
BlackSmith
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:01 pm   

edb6377 wrote:
2.) Sounds like you need to setup your prompt detection to account for that using regex if need be.
I have used PERL regex and zmud's own system. did not work.
edb6377 wrote:
3.) comparing two timestamps isnt complicated at all. Realizing of course that zmud allows you many different tools. Jscript, VB Script, PERL and of course MATH operations of TIME. Although it would be nice to not have to script it the only thing i ever use it for is my chat logs so im ok with the simple script i have to add it. Everything is simple conversions.
I have time stamp from last month. I would like to see the time difference in nice days, hours, minutes and seconds. no such funktion.
edb6377 wrote:
4.) Timestamps also easy to do and you can setup and alias to turn them off and on quite easily %time is a great too for that.
How many out there does NOT need a funktion that compares two timestamps?
I bet 1000€ on less than 10 users.
Its not about if it easy to do a alias/funktion to do these things, its is about that it should be inbuild funtion to zMud as everyone uses and needs it.
And making funktion that can count time difference right from last months timestamp is not easy.
edb6377 wrote:
5.) Datarecords can actually hold quite a bit of data you just have to reference each field.
yes, but handling them starts to be a pain in da arse and creating dozens of databases is not really so ..efficient with the present code.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: