Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Aeolus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:14 pm   

Databases - Down and Dirty(Wishlist)

I know that Zugg said he planned on redoing the whole database side of things in CMUD. I was wondering if we could get some more specifics on what will be in there that we know already, and what things people want to see. I for one have many things I have or would like to have in databases, but i was always finding the current one in Zmud to be cumbersome, or not as robust as I would like.

I think Zugg said some major database platforms like MySQL were gonna be full supported, which alone in itself is enough to sign me up for a fresh copy of CMUD when it comes available.

But lets maybe get some thoughts/ideas about databases, I know the mapper has been asked about alot and I think its time we took a closer look at this aspect.
Kiasyn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:30 pm   

I would _really_ really REALLY really really really love the ability to have a database open without the window open!

right now i keep accidently ctrl+tabbing into the window and changing db values!

(this may already be possible with zmud but i havent found it)
Check out Talon, an easy IMC connection.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:16 am   

Take a look at the database support over in zApp and you'll get an idea of what kind of databases will be supported. The default database for the CMUD Database module will be SQLLite, but that's just the default.

And yes, you will be able to access databases without having the window open. That restriction in zMUD was left from the resource limits in Win95..Win98 that no longer exist in WinXP, and since CMUD doesn't have to worry about those old versions, we can always load the database module routines without worrying about resource limits.
Kiasyn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:53 am   

yay thats awesome news.. will we also be able to have multiple databases open at once.. or seperate tables within a database?
Check out Talon, an easy IMC connection.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:31 am   

Well, that's getting *way* ahead of ourselves and I'm just speculating. But I can't see any reason why I won't be able to allow multiple queries, each in their own "tab". After all, the current zMUD database has "views" and a view is going to be an SQL query. And with the zApp Query components, it isn't a problem having different databases. So I don't think that will be a problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: