Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum Goto page Previous  1, 2
mr_kent Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:18 am
A NEW or CASUAL user's CMUD wishlist.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:29 pm   

get two floating child windows, dock them together, but not with zmud itself... then you get the issue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:56 pm   

you can do almost everything you said in zmud already.
egads
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:44 am   

Yes. Two docked floating windows get a title bar that's very small with no function. Just the current windows xp colour, and nothing at all on it.

It's been a problem for a long time, mentioned every now and then.

All it needs is always on top to be hands down the best way to store information that matters - but you might not want to read straight away.

I could see this flyout thing either being really annoying or godly, I know I will be certainly trying both. Since you can turn it off, I'm just going to put my money on godly.

Speaking of undocked windows, I'd love a window I could undock and literally design. With a removable title bar, ie, the object/window can move when the title bar is visible, and is stationary when its not. With drag and drop objects, text, variables, buttons, radio toggles, the whole works on it. How many of you kids would just love something off to the side that wasn't text per se, a lot of people have windows of text doing the same thing, some sort of labour-of-love console that's not just a work of art, but just plain useful.

Basically a replacement for the button-bar of usefulness, that is completely open ended. Oooh. Removable borders too. If that can even be done. Sure there's plenty of applications that can do it, but not many of them have it inside windows called by the program. Just the main application.

Maybe it's just me, but I love my windows. Some edb46265 guy had a screen shot of his client that was pretty damn crazy, basically forcing zmud to do these things already. Looked pretty snazzy. At that level of customisation, I wonder if he even played the game any more. Looked like his script would have been able to handle everything except chatting. Unless you can make zmud selfaware within regexp. You can do everything else with it.
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:06 am   

Parser Hell

Speaking of chat/guild channels and windows, I think it would be great if after highlighting five-ten channel lines and dragging them to a child window, a parser could distinguish similarities automatically and create an appropriate trigger to capture subsequent lines to the child window, automatically (with the appropriate confirmation dialog windows). Some guild lines allow for emoting and have a different format, and I can imagine users may want to assign multiple lines to the same child, so several triggers may be needed, adding to the complexity of the problem. Hopefully, line-spanning could be automatically accounted for as well.

I am not a coder and this seems like a very difficult thing to do, but setting up zMUD for creating maps automatically with autoconfig seems very difficult but similar.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:18 am   

egads, that's exactly what we are talking about when we refer to "zApp-powered" status windows. As someone already said, go take a look at some of the zApp documentation. It defines an XML syntax for creating window that are completely customizeable. This is what CMUD will be using.

I don't know about being able to remove the window caption though. The docking system is in charge of that part and since removing the caption bar makes it impossible to move a window or dock it or float it, the docking system doesn't allow it. There may be some tricks I can figure out later, but the first beta of CMUD certainly won't have any feature like removing the caption bar, sorry.
egads
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:47 am   

Well this is a wish list. :p

Noone said I had to be realistic ;)
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:19 am   

Quote:

All it needs is always on top to be hands down the best way to store information that matters - but you might not want to read straight away.

Already in ZMud (and it's a rather old feature, too). Plagued by bugs in legacy OS code that ZMud has to support, but it's there. Zugg is dropping guaranteed support for Win9x in CMud, which means he can take advantage of the far less buggy XP model to do and handle most all the cool new things we have nowadays.

A few more OS launches by MS and its competition and I'm sure Zugg will come up with a way to translate text into submersive graphics. No pressure, though, Zugg. ;)
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:48 pm   

I would definately ask for border/title-less windows on the wish list (don't care if it's not in the first beta).

In EQ2 I always turn off the borders and captions for my window - you can click and drag them by their 'client' since you can't highlight any text. In CMUD this would have to be something like 'hold control and drag' to not select the text but actually drag the window around the screen.

This would apply to always on top windows as well as docked windows. I would also like to have an 'auto-jump to active tab' kinda docked windows so say you have 'chats' and 'tells' when someone sends you a tell it pops the tell tab to the foreground. More of those fancy MMO-style features.
Zhiroc
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:38 pm   

Here are a few things I'd like to see. Sorry if any are repeated...

1) A "loop while pattern" trigger state. The state of the trigger will not advance while the pattern is matched. If the pattern does not match, advance the trigger to the next state, and then test that state against the line. This is something I want to do all the time. I know what the next few lines should look like, and so would like to gobble them all up in one trigger state until they no longer match. Yes, I can do this using a number of other methods, like classes or expressions and manual states, but this would be a lot easier.

2) Better window grouping and control. This may be coming, given some comments I've read. What I'm looking for is the ability for a set of windows each to be framed like the main window. For example, say I'm playing in 2 MUDs at once. I want two main application windows, each of which have a certain docking of child windows inside, and each with a toolbar, and each that can be minimized separately of each other. Right now, you you can only have one main window, and if you detach others, you lose the ability to dock them (tiled, not tabbed) into a separate window.

3) Better MUSH/MUX/etc. support:
a) Currently, I have to disable the ';' special character since it is used a lot in MUSHes (as well as ':', '!', and '.'). However, by doing this, any script I export doesn't have the correct formatting for reimport (it seems).

b) MUSHes hardly ever use cardinal directions for exits (north, south, etc). While they might use these at times, most exits are named (e.g., The General Store). MUSHes also never use prompts, which makes it (it seems), a lot tougher to configure the automapper. I'd be happy with some sort of semi-manual UI that would allow me to easily create rooms from the last block of output. I know I could do it completely manually, but it seems very tedious.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:26 pm   

Ctrl + Shift + TAB = Toggle through child windows while keeping the parent active
I would love something like this
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:55 pm   

Quote:

I would also like to have an 'auto-jump to active tab' kinda docked windows so say you have 'chats' and 'tells' when someone sends you a tell it pops the tell tab to the foreground. More of those fancy MMO-style features.

Already a feature of ZMud, under Windows preferences. Click on the "Automatically bring to front window with activity" checkbox. Since there's not really any "stay on top" feature for gaming windows, this feature works perfectly unless you have the Settings Editor, Mapper, or some other system window open that you've set to stayontop.
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:53 am   

These are all great suggestions and I know Zugg is appreciating the feedback... this particular forum thread is intended as a wishlist for the new or casual user of CMUD... and it seem to me that some of these idea are more advanced. They are great ideas but I'm not exactly sure these are ideas new users can talk advantage of.

What can we do to help new users quickly and intuitively take advantage of these features?
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:16 am   

I like the idea of highlight and trigger. Step by step wizards that walk a newbie through creating a colorization trigger, chat line windows, and basic reaction commands.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:31 pm   

I know this is an old topic, but they have made MIPS public. As a new 3k player I would love to see MIPS implemented. Or at least figure out a way where I can use cmud's power to implement it myself.
http://www.gameaxle.com/PortalMIP9.pdf
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:03 pm   

Yep, MIPS is on the wish-list for the mapper in the future. No timescale for it though, sorry. It's not going to be in the next public version.
cazador
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:56 pm   

Figured that was the case :) You have tons of stuff to work on as is. If you want a guinny pig on this let me know
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:44 pm   

The right-click "Make Trigger" option has been added to the next release. It shows up in the right-click menu if there is any text selected on the MUD output screen. It was trivial because it just calls the same code as the Action/Make Trigger menu item, which already checked for highlighted text in the MUD output window.

You'll also be happy to know that I'm finally porting the Trigger Wizard from zMUD into CMUD. It will be compatible with the *.wiz wizard files from zMUD. Still no integration with the Package Library yet, but that's on the to-do list. When I figure out how to store mapper configuration in the package library in the next phase of the mapper, I'll use the same design to store trigger wizard files in the package library.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:57 pm   

Like Pink Floyd and Rolling Stones before him ....

ZUGG ROCKS!!!!
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:26 pm   

I'm also giving some thought to the thread about stripping the prompt into the status bar (or a second status bar). Parts of it are really easy now that CMUD has Events and the full EOR/GA support. And part of me wants to do something quick and fun like that. Honestly, I had totally forgotten about it (it's buried deep in the wish list from long ago).
Fang Xianfu
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:33 am   

Similarly, it'd be nice to have your prompt be "sticky", too. All that really means is gagging a prompt only if it's not the most recent one, so you have one prompt at the bottom and none in the text above. I'm sure a script could be cobbled together to do it, but if you'll be looking at that sort of thing anyway... ;)

- Happy bunny is happy! (1/25)
astrotaz
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:15 pm   

old post I know but MIP is now open source for portal --- maybe you can use to improve mapping for 3k
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: