Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Tearstar
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:05 am   

zMUD 7.04 & CoffeeMUD

Hello, I am new to the zMUD family and I must say I love the client, I just started messing with some of the advance features and have read through various posts here, but I could not find what I am looking for, and I assume it's easy but as I said I am a newbie and have no idea what is going on. First off if anyone is using zMUD actively with CoffeeMUD codebase mud and can help me with various things I may not know I can do, please feel free to email me, now on to my main question:

I have a new window created "finally" and it's called "chats" now what I want to do is take all the CHAT output from my main window and place it in my new window. Here is the output from the mud;

<101Hp 152m 10140mv>
Tearstar CHATS 'this is a test'

<101Hp 152m 10140mv>
Tearstar CHATS 'I wanna see how this works'

<101Hp 152m 10140mv>
Tearstar CHATS 'these lines are in Cyan I believe'

not sure if that helps or not. But any assistance would be helpful.

Thanks
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:14 am   

This should do what you want.

Code:
 #TRIGGER {^(%w) CHATS (*)} {#CAP CHAT;#GAG }
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:42 am   

yes that did work, thank you . . using your answer I am able to set up windows for all my communication, see I knew it would be simple, Thanks again.

I guess I am just scratching the surface of what zMUD can do
Tearstar
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:10 am   More help with output window

OK got all my communications setup; Chats, Tells, Shouts, etc. Thanks to "Tech"

Now here is some more output I want to do and the past posted trigger isn't working for it

<1650Hp 1041m 11485mv>
[WIZINFO] 'Tester has logged out.'

I tried using

#TRIGGER {^(%w) [WIZINFO] (*)} {#CAP WIZINFO;#GAG }

but I feel like I'm not getting something quite right. Any help?
Guinn
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:07 pm   

I don't have zmud to hand so can't test this, but I'm guessing it's because [] are special characters so you need to escape them using ~ first.

Try
#TRIGGER {^(%w) ~[WIZINFO~] (*)} {#CAP WIZINFO;#GAG}
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:45 pm   

Plus given your example there is no word before [WIZINFO] so I don't see why you've used ^(%w) [WIZINFO] at a guess you just want to use ^~[WIZINFO~] instead.
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:22 pm   

Thanks to both of you, I got it to work too . . .

ok, back to the communications . . .

here is the extended output of a longer chat, all my communications output the same way

You CHAT 'well we are gonna keep hunger and thirst because of realism, you
don't eat and drink you die'

and only the first line shows in my output window, any way to fix that? as there is no way to tell when the first line ends except the blank line at the end of the chat or the last single quote.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:34 pm   

Do you have the ability to change the mud's wordwrap column? If yes, things will be many times easier if you do that. With ZMud's wordwrapping on, ZMud will consider any line that ZMud wraps as a single line whereas if the game wraps it then ZMud sees that as a separate line.
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:47 pm   

nope, I don't believe I have the ability within the mud. I'm just an assistant builder
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:03 am   

The wordwrap would be a setting provided to anyone who plays the mud, have a look at all the commands available to you especially those sounding screen/terminal related. As Matt says if you can't do this it is going to be a royal pain in the rear to sort the triggers out otherwise.
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:29 pm   

ok, well I found the wordwrap stuff, it's actually linewrap in CoffeeMUD, and I adjusted it, but that's not helping me . . . what I need is I guess the ability to see multi-line chats in my new output window. The ouput window named chats, tells, etc. is only capturing the first line of the chat, the rest of it is going to the main mud window.

On the same topic, when I shut down and restart zmud, all my child windows have the status bar and command line on them and I have to maunally remove them again, any script, command, trigger, or steps to take to keep this from happening again.

Also my font format is not being kept for my child windows, it's always reverting back to default, sorry if this is soo much to be putting in 1 post, but while we're on the topic of child windows and such :)

Thanks Taz, Matt and Guinn for all your continued help
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:46 am   

1. Not helping or not doing anything? Did the first chat line get longer at all, putting less chat on the next line? Did you set it to the maximum possible? What we are trying to do is get the whole of any chat as one line (so your current triggers will work no matter how long the chat on the mud is) to prevent having to go through major headaches of changing/adding to your current triggers to handle chats on more than one line.

2. & 3. It sounds like you are not saving the chat windows. Click in each chat window in turn and while in the window hold down the alt key and press s then a this will bring up a save as dialog box which will ask to save the window under a mud file name defaulting to the name of the window and it should default to being in the same directory as the main mud file.
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:34 am   

1.) well I set my linewrap to 200 and it did fix the ability to handle a longer chat; however now the room descriptions of my mud are showing up in 1 line, unless they are over 200 characters long and then they show up with messed up format, some lines are indented, some lines end with just one or two words and then the rest is on the next line.

2.&3.) That took care of that, ty
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:23 pm   

1) Use zMud's word wrap and auto indent features in the View-Preferences to control your 200 long lines.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:26 pm   

1.) zMUD should automatically wrap the long room description preventing you having to scroll sideways to see it so that shouldn't be a problem. I suspect the room descriptions are doing odd things because the room coder has played about with it on their own system trying to make it look right forgetting that settings on someone elses system may differ and hence it won't look right at all. Post a request to the mud to make the messed up room descriptions be fixed. Also is 200 the maximum?
Enchanter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:30 pm   

Maybe it has something to do with that he's using 7.04 according to what the subject line says?
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:30 am   

Speaking of 7.04 that was the last cracked version wasn't it? :P
Check out Talon, an easy IMC connection.
icedsun
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 11:54 am   Big No No (*)

I thought that triggering off of (*) was a big no-no!
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:06 pm   

No that is (%*).
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:54 am   

Taz wrote:
No that is (%*).

I use (%*) all the time and have yet to run into any problems....

Last edited by Vitae on Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Vitae
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:58 am   

You CHAT 'well we are gonna keep hunger and thirst because of realism, you
don't eat and drink you die'

#trigger {%w CHAT '*'} {#WINDOW chat %trigger}

try that.
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:39 pm   

Vitae it's not that (%*) doesn't work or anything more that it is open to abuse as it captures the special zMUD characters. There are posts on the forum that deal with protecting yourself from abuse while using (%*) though it's not easy to find them as you get no results when searching for (%*).

Also with your trigger what happens if the lines that arrive are

You CHAT 'well we are gonna keep hunger and thirst because of realism, you don't eat and
drink you die'

instead?
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:37 pm   

ok I have discovered another problem I have . . .

I need to be able to use "<S-Name>" and ";" for commands within the mud, but I can't uncheck them in special characters because then my triggers don't work, but is there a way to do this without going into preferences and unchecking them, and then rechecking them every time I need to use them? . . . Sort of a shortcut, or a setting or set of commands to use where the client will ingnore those when needed.
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:01 pm   

Either use #SEND or prefix special characters with a tilde ~.
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:36 am   

If it's a character that you use a lot or can potentially use a lot, it's better to simply switch the special character with something else. For instance, in Dragonrealms they have a SING command that allows you to specify a new line in your song with the ;. That's in direct conflict with the command-separator character default value, so I simply change the ; to a ` (the backwards apostrophe thing above the tilde). Now, ; is no longer considered a special character and ZMud doesn't at all react to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: