Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:56 pm   

Faster running..

Compiled Scripts wrote:

This is another huge new feature in CMUD. Scripts (aliases, triggers, etc) that pass the syntax checker are now automatically compiled in the background. These compiled scripts run *much* faster than the old zMUD scripts. I don't have any official benchmark tests completed yet, but you can expect a very significant speed increase.

I am a chop/paste scripted that spits out copious amounts of code and usually stores everything in string lists with accompanying {{@string_list}} triggers. Compiled with bad script habits and laziness I cause myself slowness when I play certain types of characters.

I usually bring zMud to its knees when I'm in Admin or Info-merchant (gargoyle) mode.

One place I play has the following stats:
20 windows :
-2 character windows
-2 child windows that write to disk everytime something is sent to it
-20 windows that have logging on

Running .muds:
3421 ko, 96 ko, 14 ko, 2 ko, 2 ko, 2 ko
6439 ko, 6 ko, 2 ko

Automapper
1872 ko (small one for hamster wheel script leveling)
(Dont have entire world map here at this location).

IMHO, my loss of speed to computing cycles comes from the string list triggers that #PCOL or #CW.
Running lists sizes:
541, 865, 245, 283, 483

Anything CMUD will allow fools like me to improve CPU, speed utilization? Or am I penalitized due to my poor scripts till I get unlazy and clean them up Confused
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:01 pm   

As long as they are native zscript and don't have any syntax errors, they will compile. Right now everything is interpreted, which is really, really slow (like writing-to-disk versus RAM slow).
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 8:54 pm   

Processing large string lists will probably be the same speed as zMUD. It's only the main script parsing that is getting a speed improvement. But in CMUD, the way settings are stored in the database allows for some possibilities in the future that might really increase the speed of string lists and database variables.
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:24 pm   

Pondering on this over the past bit I think I can figure out 5-6 triggers that would trigger when I'd be searching for most of the string lists. This would allow me to #T+ the string list triggers only when required. An alias would allow me as well.

I'm really starting to like the possibilities of the database in the background.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: