Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:43 pm   

Capitalizing on CMUD's packages

This is a list of CONFIRMED features in the first Beta version of CMUD.

I initially see two cool things from this idea. How to enable/disable scripts easily on the mmo/muds/games you play depending on what character you are playing. The other is saving you work and sharing your work with your gang/clan/faction/clique of players.

Settings in Database format wrote:

In CMUD, everything is a "package". There is a "Default Package" that has all of the default setting.
    Then you have can have as many different packages as you want to load for your character.
    Plugins are also integrated into packages. So, for example, if you want to use zChat, you load the "zChat Package".
    You might create your own packages for the MUD you are playing to act like the previous "Inherited" settings.
    And it will be easy for the player to enable or disable different packages to control what features he wants for a given MUD.

This will allow for a super easy way to disable large scripts when you are playing PK combat characters then renable them when you are playing a more infomation based character or when scripting the hamster wheel.

Shared Packages wrote:

In addition, CMUD will allow you to "upload" your own packages to the server. This system will essentially replace the "Finished zMUD Scripts" forum with a much more useful and dynamic package repository.
    There will also be a method to create a "private" area on the package server.
    In your private area, you can upload anything you want and control who has access to it. For example, if you travel a lot, you might upload your different MUD packages to your private area. Then, from anywhere else in the world you can run CMUD and download your packages.
    If you have a "Guild" on your MUD, you can set up access so that only guild-members have access to your packages.

This brings a whole new meaning to shared knowledge. Before you play you update your various packages and go play.
-Imagine a PK clan that can keep its stats and information on enemies easily.
-A bunch of explorers mapping together through divide and conquor the world
-Guild communication cryptography that is changed daily, guild message of the day, templates for recruiting/selling/codes
-Basic RP emotes, descriptions and themed things that can be downloaded to template your new character
-Shared knowledge database on items, spells, effects, locations, receipies etc
//
-A bunch of builders have prototypes or tiny plot templates they can easily access and implement to add spice to the game.
-A collaborative content building for a new zone/planet/area
-Framework for various groupings of things that can be saved and then scripted to implement for speedier building, leaving your saved time to the fun theme tweaking

Then with the use of XML support and the all kinds of plugins, CMUD will now add spice to zMud's ability to slice and dice.
OmegaDeus
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 3:48 pm   

I agree mostly with what you say, but CMUD will not add spice to zMUD. As far as I can figure CMUD is more like taking zMUD, putting on a body kit, lowering it, slapping in a sound system, puttin on low profile tires with spinner rims, installing an aftermarket intake, and topping it off with two mega canisters of NOS. Zugg rocks.

Look at me I've got zSKILLS
Pseudo
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 7:05 pm   

Ton, right now I use a similiar idea behind enabling packages by using aliases combined with large class scripts to enable/disable them. The real improvement will be how much easier it should be to program the packages. Copy/Pasting large scripts into zmud classes from notepad has been cumbersome, but necessary in many cases because it doesnt always seem to save the scripts. Needless to say, I am really looking forward to the package idea!

Last edited by Pseudo on Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:55 pm   

I do similiarily but I find when a #SAVE hits it lags me hard. So when I'm in critical speed things its either a new character window or pre prep with #SAVE & #KILLALL & #LOAD.

With the XML import and export it'll solve a lot of the kludges I have used to save, storing and (un)loading large folders. Yeah the notepad cut and paste is fun Smile
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:13 pm   

Been thinking about this and this is very cool.

I "supply" scripts to many Guild members/Players and a package system would allow me to update everyone more easily.
Instead of pushing scripts with copy/paste or through irc or through tells this private repositry will be very cool.

As well this will allow us to do brute force things with team work. ie trying to guess a 5 digit lock safe combo. With enough time/people we can use the packages to push/pull results of tries we have done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD Beta Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: