Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
boblinski
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:03 am   

Map Room Desc's. Help!

G'day, I have mapped a large area of a mud I play and I am wanting to know how to flick through a list of all the room descriptions one by one (not just the room names).

If it helps... I am trying to do this because there are a lot of hidden areas in the mud that are given away from the room desc so I want to read through all the room desc's so I can find the hidden areas.

Thanks for the help! Razz
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:54 pm   

A manual way would be to open up the room properties in the mapper, change your map display to see the Nearby rooms to a zone and click through that Nearby list one by one.

You probably could make a script to dump all the rooms to a text file then read it labourously as well.
Takilara
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:17 pm   

From zmud help:

make sure that you are in the zone where the rooms you want to study are (ie the blue dot in the map is in the zone you want to examine)

#CALL %mapfilter(%concat("ZoneID = ",%zonenum()))
#LOOP %numrooms {#ECHO %roomdesc(%mapvnum(%i));#ECHO "--------------------------------------"}
#CALL %mapfilter("")

This will loop through all the rooms in the current zone, and write the description to the screen. and seperate the rooms with ---------------------------------------

to log this to a text file, just start alog before you run the loop command

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:18 pm   

Hey will this show me the room name and exits too?
Pseudo
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:59 pm   

Here's a thought. Open your mud in Offline mode, then just set your position for every room you want to see. You can use the #Describe command to see the room as it is on the mud.

Last edited by Pseudo on Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:43 am   

Takilara wrote:

#CALL %mapfilter(%concat("ZoneID = ",%zonenum()))
#LOOP %numrooms {#ECHO %roomname(%mapvnum(%i));#ECHO %roomdesc(%mapvnum(%i));#ECHO %roomexit(%mapvnum(%i));#ECHO "--------------------------------------"}
#CALL %mapfilter("")

Added %roomname and %roomexit to Takilara's code.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:38 am   

If you wanted to do this within ZMud instead of dumping the contents into a text file for later perusal, I'd instead use a counter variable and #TELEPORT instead of a #LOOP.

1)create a new window named Room Viewer or something similarly indicative. Save.

2)create a button panel on the bottom edge of the window with at least 6 buttons (the 7th one is optional)
a)Zone -- will show you which zone you're in (a more complicated setup than simple room flicking from one end of the map to the other)
b)First -- will show you RoomID #1
c)Previous -- will show you RoomID #current - 1
d)@RoomID of %numrooms() -- separator type of button that displays which room you are currently looking at
e)Next -- will show you RoomID #current + 1
f)Last -- will show you RoomID #%numrooms()
g)GoTo -- will show you RoomID #userspecified

3)create a variable to contain the counter representing the RoomID you are currently viewing

4)create an alias to display the room info, taking a roomID as its parameter (alternatively, a function might do as well)

All in all, a fairly simple script, but not something I'll be puzzling through at midnight on a weekday.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: