Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Pseudo
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:39 pm   

Howto left justify the description

I've seen multiple cases when a mud uses formatting in their descriptions that mess with the automapper. Here is a simple example.

Room Title A
~~The multiline description starts here.
The multiline description
continues for a few more lines.
~~Room 1 - South
~~Room 2 - West
The multiline description ends here.
[Exits: S W N E]

I used ~ to denote whitespace. What I am asking is, is there a simple way to remove the whitespace at the beginning of the multiline description lines so it does not interfere with the automapper recognizing paragraphs properly? I would like to do something like:
#TRIGGER {^%s(*)} {#SUB "%1"}
This trigger would left justify all text so the mapper could execute properly. So far, the only commands I can find that execute before #LOOK for mapping are #NOMAP, #GAG, and #TAG.
It should be noted that this is NOT the standard room description from the mud. The standard description does not contain the whitespace. It is formatting for this room only.
Pseudo
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:17 pm   

Maybe I should be asking for a simple checkbox for the room properties in the mapper that looks something like "Trim whitespace"? This would allow it to be set on certain rooms without becoming yet another trigger for every room. Thoughts? It may even be yet another great addition to zMudXP if something isnt already in place. :)

Another option would be to make an automapper script. This would be located in the same area the room and walk scripts are at and serve a similiar purpose. It would be executed before the automapper. Just brainstorming as I don't see any way to currently handle the problem.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:24 pm   

Perhaps you should report the room to the staff of the mud, they might be able to edit it to conform with the room descriptions in the rest of the mud and remove the need for this altogether
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:37 pm   

They did it on purpose :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: