Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

gamma_ray
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:28 am   

Invalid folder on load- bug and workaround.

So it turns out that when you format your C partition and reinstall Windows, leaving other partitions intact, it occasionally decides to just flip out and switch your drive letters around. If you end up without a C partition, ZMapper will hang on loading with an "Invalid folder" message, which leaves you with nothing to do except hit CTRL+ALT+DEL. The cure is to re-letter one of your other partitions to C (Windows also won't allow you to reletter your main partition, go figure).
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:22 pm   

Try right-clicking your zMapper entry in the Start/Programs menu (or desktop icon) and select Properties. Look at the Working Directory setting and make sure it is set to the path that zMapper is installed in. The initial zMapper screen should be showing a directory listing of the current working directory. So it shouldn't care about the C: drive unless you original installed it to C: and the properties are still pointing to C:

And yeah, this is a Real problem in Windows. In fact, you will find a lot of stuff that doesn't work well without a C: drive. I ran into this myself. My system here actually has Windows installed on the F: drive for some reason. I finally decided to leave Windows on F: but create another partition for C: and install all of my software to C: So the only thing left on F: is my /WINDOWS directory, and I think my Document and Settings directory, both of which I couldn't figure out how to move.
gamma_ray
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:26 pm   

Yeah, the working directory was fine but it was still crashing until I added a C:...that was actually one of the first things I tried. :( It was originally installed to C:, but then I reformated C: so it shouldn't have minded... Nothing else has broken so far, but I've just been reinstalling as I need things, and most of what I use is low maintenance. Crossing my fingers, though, and getting more and more annoyed with stupid windows for renaming all of my partitions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMapper Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: