Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Phlux
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 7:49 pm   

Interrupted speedwalk

I'm new to Zmud, so this might be a simple question, I just don't quite know how to search for the answer. I've looked but come up empty.

I need to get speedwalking to work in SLOW mode. I've been able to do this, but I run into a problem on some rooms where my walk will just stop and abort. The mapper thinks I'm in this one particular room, makes the move to go to the next room but it aborts after that, without updating me map, so it leaves my map location one room off and my speedwalk aborted.

I believe it is because most room descriptions are a single paragraph but this room has 2, and it's sending the movement command as soon as it finished reading the first command. So then when it attempts to verify the next room name it's still reading the second half of last room description, so it fails.

Is there something I can do, maybe in the walk script field, to make this particular room wait to move until parsing the whole description? I tried #wait, but that didn't do it.

This is on 7.20a

Thanks
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:47 pm   

First verify that room names and descriptions surrounding your problem spots are actually correct. Next you can adjust the configuration of the mapper to only verify room names during speedwalking. If this is not enabled then room name and first line of description are reuired to make a match. This is why I suggest double checking the surrounding rooms.
Phlux
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:14 pm   

Hmm. I tried what you suggested. I have switched from checking the first line of the description to the room name and that doesn't seem to make a difference. I double checked the room descriptions of the rooms and they are all correct also.

Here is what the output from the game looks like.

in
>in
Edge of the asteroid belt
You are on the edge of the asteroid belt, somewhere between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter. There are more than 100,000 asteroids here, ranging in size from tiny pebbles to huge rocks several hundred miles across.
s
You are relatively safe at the edge of the belt, where asteroids are fairly sparse, but as you head for the denser parts, you may be in danger from collisions. You should also beware of the inhabitants of the asteroids, who are known to be lawless and uncivilized.
There are cleared space routes leading northwest, northeast, south, southwest and west.
>s
Asteroid belt
There are no large asteroids here, but from the sparkling of your shields, your ship is encountering a lot of dust. The Imperial Navy authorized spacelanes are north, east, southeast, south, west and northwest.
Slow walking aborted

There are two sections on the map for this zone, and the command "in" is a custom link I created manually that jumps me from one section of the map to the other. The command "out" takes me back to the other part of the zone. Basically this zone is a solar system and the "in" command at a certain location takes you inside an asteroid belt which can be explored further.

As you can see in the dump it immediately issues the "s" command after recognizing the room. So what I think is happening is that when it attempts to make the next move it reads "you are relatively safe....." as the room name of the next room, can't make a match and then aborts.

What is interesting is that I do not have this command when I go through this location from point to point within the asteroid belt. It is a small group of 14 locations. If I leave the asteroid belt and come back it again fails to slowwalk more than 1 room beyond that entry point. Once I'm in the belt, though, I can slowwalk right through that point without a problem. Perhaps it has something to do with the link between rooms I built? I tried moving the asteroid belt into its own zone, but the same thing happens.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:20 am   

In the Prompt section of the configuration, check the "Wait for prompt in SLOW speedwalking".
Phlux
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:09 pm   

I had to turn that setting off originally or else my speedwalking would terminate after moving a single step.

Once I unchecked that box I am able to speedwalk pretty much anywhere I want in SLOW mode with the exception of that particular room. Turning it back on just makes it so speedwalking aborts after one move again.
Phlux
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:19 pm   

There's something strange about this. The asteroid belt area that contains the location I can't slow walk past also contains links to several other map zones. Each of those zones is an asteroid that you can land on and explore. If I move through the questionable location from point to point in the asteroid field I have no difficulty slowwalking past it, even when I move from one zone to the other.

It's when I go into the asteroid belt that the problem occurs. I think it's a problem with the "in" command that takes me into the belt. The command to move between zones, ie landing on an asteroid, is "board". Likewise you type "board" again to take off again. This only happens when the autowalker uses "in" to access that location.

Is there anything that I can provide that would help this make more sense to anyone? I really want to figure it out, as slow walking is the only safe way to walk through this game. Occasionally ships get pulled over by a "customs patrol" and moved to a random location in space. If I use fast or safe walking my movement commands can accidentally send me careening into the sun. It's already happened to me once. With slow walking I can use a trigger to make my slow walk stop and relocate me on the map so that I know where I'm flying.
Phlux
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:52 pm   

Ah ha! Fixed it!

It turned out to be incredibly simple, but I still don't quite understand how it affects slowwalking in the way that it does.

The room prior to entering the asteroid, belt, in the main part of the solar system, has in its Exits section two directional arrows and a list of exits. On the right hand compass direction thingy, the "other" button was pushed in. On the left side compass the "other" button was NOT pushed in. I pushed it in and viola...everything works.

I don't know why this made a difference, because in other places where I've used custom exits they all only have one "other" button pushed in. Some of my custom exits go from zone to zone, but others are simply custom command moves such as "push button" to make an elevator go from floor to floor, and they stay on the same zone yet work perfectly with the slow walker.

I even put this asteroid belt on its own zone at one point and that didn't fix it. I guess there's something about "in|out" that it doesn't like.

It's hard to say if it made any difference, but at the same time I was changing the "other" button on the exits page, I had also entered in a custom directional command, "i" with a reverse command "o" for "in|out". When I tried the slow walk with both of those settings enabled it worked on the first try. Then I disabled that directional command and it continued to work. Then I deleted the command entirely and it still works, so I don't know quite what I may have done. I've tried so many things over the last two days to fix this it's hard to keep track of what has changed and what's the same.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: