Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Strahn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:49 am   

Redirecting mud output from multiple sessions into one windo

Hoi hoi all.

Playing on a mud that allows multiplaying, and I have been experimenting with capturing chats/tells etc to a "communications" window.

What I usually do is load up one character and run around and do stuff while I have a second character beating up on training dummies or otherwise just kinda sitting there idling.

Because I was lazy and figured that I'd largely be using most of the same scripts between my first two characters I just used the same mud profile. I don't know if this will affect what I'm trying to do, just figured I'd mention it for completeness.

The problem I am currently having is that my capture screen works fine for having one instance of the session open. However, if I open a second instance I get a new instance of my communications window as well. (This second instance also causes some weird resizing to happen to the original communications window as well.) Upon some quick further testing, I find that zMUD redirects all outputs correctly and I can just close the extraneous window but I find this annoying.

Does anyone know a fix/workaround for this? I'm going to experiment with the #MAKEWINDOW command, perhaps that will solve it.

Any help/tips/whatnot will be greatly appreciated, I've never worked with multiple windows before so I'm a total newbie in this regard.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:51 am   

#MAKEWINDOW won't solve your issues. Your issue is that two layouts are being loaded, and that they happen to be the same layout file (thus, ambiguity). It doesn't seem as though Zugg is checking for the existence of a loaded copy, thus the duplicate windows.

Anywho, to make a long story short you need to create a multiplayer layout file. To do this, edit all but one of your characters to not use layout files (I don't think this is strictly necessary, but why take chances and have to fix things anew when you discover more problems?). Next, open up all the characters you want to multiplay with and arrange/close/open all the child windows you want to have. Once set exactly how you want it (or can live with), save your layout. You will be prompted for an icon name. Name it as desired, and click OK. If it doesn't exist, ZMud will create a Layout Icon in the Character Database (the window where you connect your characters and start playing); if it already exists, ZMud will prompt you for permission to overwrite it.

When finished, whenever you want to multiplay you just click and connect this icon rather than the separate icons for your characters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: