Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2
Zugg Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:50 pm
New version of zMUD without eLicense available for testing
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:06 am   

Install worked flawlessy this time! I knew I could count on you to fix it!
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:59 am   

Zugg wrote:
Geez, I'm still actually pissed about the last poster. Seems like no matter WHAT you do, there is always someone who needs to complain.

Anyway, for those of you who actually appreciate the new system, I have just uploaded a new update. The v7.20a version should fix the crash causes by the zmapper plugin that Nexela found. I *think* it also fixes the problem installing from a user account, so maybe Rorso can give that a test for me and see if it still crashes.

I installed it and I get an access violation if I run it as user instead of running it as admin first. This is how it looks:

1. I don't get the demo window anylonger - my copies are registered now which they weren't earlier.
2. I get the splash screen with the castle, and I see the text "Initializing engine".
3. A message box is shown with the message: "Error: Access violation at 0x7C8024E5 (tried to write to 0x00EE0E38), program terminated."

I think we said in an earlier discussion about this crash that it was probably related to register COM-components.
Carabas
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:58 am   

Zugg wrote:
M0lid3us, I'm not sure what you mean by "not visibile but it appares as plain text". I don't know how it is possible for a button to be displayed as "plain text" and still work.

Zugg, I saw this too. It looks like a text label (ie no beveled edges or anything), but is clickable like a button. I guess a better way to explain it might be a hyperlink without the underline. I'd get a screenshot for you, but I've already updated my information.
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:35 pm   

bleh, didn't find my order on upgrade... mailed support with all info...
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:45 pm   

Private, did you buy zMUD within the past couple of weeks? I haven't added the most recent orders to the new database yet. Otherwise I'll take a look at the reg code in the email message and find out what is wrong.

Rorso, looks like we are making progress...at least you see the splash screen now (I move some stuff around in the most recent version). I'll see if I can reproduce it here to make testing easier. It's possible that it's related to COM registration, but I should be able to handle that error properly...after all, you don't really need the COM stuff registered to use the basic parts of zMUD. It might also be trying to register the zsconvert utility to convert the mud database, but I think I already trap any error with that. So it's more likely the self-registration of zMud itself. Seems like something I should be able to fix. If you see the splash screen, then it's all done with the copy protection stuff, so that isn't our problem anymore.

Still wierd on the button, but I'll look into it. I'm still not sure how a normal button wouldn't get displayed properly, and yet still work. Windows sure can be such a wierd pain-in-the... sometimes.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:04 pm   

OK Rorso, I have uploaded a new copy of 7.20a. Download it again and try it from a user account and see if it still crashes.

I'm having a hard time reproducing this myself...I think too many of my computers already have had zMUD installed from the Admin account. I should probably do something with VMware I guess, but for now I'll let you try it again.

I put exception handlers around all of the COM stuff in the initialization section. So if it fails to register COM objects it should ignore those errors and continue. Let me know how it goes.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:20 pm   

I got the same error as last time :-(

Edit: I am afraid I might have some bad news. I just tried installing the new zMUD on a computer that has never had zMUD installed. This was done using an "user account" and not an "admin account". When I tried to run zmud.exe I got this message:

charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:59 pm   

I installed this - worked flawlessly. As for the "Submit Change" button, I had no quirkiness about it at all.

My questions are:

1. Are there any new features or bug fixes other than the new license handling?
2. If zMUD is installed on two computers under the new license, and they both try to run it, what happens?
3. Although this is probably a no-brainer, is the proposed zMUDXP going to be under the same license policy?

Charneus
Ralgha
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:03 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Geez, I'm still actually pissed about the last poster. Seems like no matter WHAT you do, there is always someone who needs to complain.

Anyway, for those of you who actually appreciate the new system, I have just uploaded a new update. The v7.20a version should fix the crash causes by the zmapper plugin that Nexela found. I *think* it also fixes the problem installing from a user account, so maybe Rorso can give that a test for me and see if it still crashes.

Also fixed a couple of bugs, including a bug with MCP negotiation and the bug with the MUD list not being sorted. I'll update the version history for this soon, but I'm mainly focused on getting the new copy protection working smoothly.

So if you had an error or just want to try and break it, download the new update HERE and let me know if there are still any problems with it.

My intention wasn't to piss you off, if you want to get pissed off, be my guest. I never had a problem with the elicense servers, and I never had a problem with pressing an extra button when the 90 days was up. When reinstalling it, I copied the code from the text file to the box, no typing involved. I did have problems forgetting to unlicense before formatting the computer.

I do have problems remembering what email address I used when I bought zMUD (probably don't even have that address anymore). Yes I realize I can save the login information just as I did the old code.

I understand the merits of having an expiring key, but yes, I'm going to complain about it. Just like you complain about having people complain. If it were a free product, then I would have no basis to complain, but it's not. There is almost always a better way to do anything, and if you just get pissed off at the complainers, you'll never find some of them.

Instead of requiring going to a website, logging in, finding a new code, and putting it in, why not have the user enter their email and password in the program itself and let the program use that to get a new code for itself?
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:31 pm   

Ralgha - if you click "Update" on the demo screen, it comes up using your old license to find your information. Then it returns your name and your registered email address. Then, all you have to do is change it to whatever it is you use now.

Quote:

Instead of requiring going to a website, logging in, finding a new code, and putting it in, why not have the user enter their email and password in the program itself and let the program use that to get a new code for itself?

I actually agree with you on this one - It might save for further problems. However, might it be more convenient for us to choose a username (such as the one we use here on the forums) and the password? It would make it easier to remember rather than remember what email you used last to register with this one.

Charneus
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:31 pm   

Because anything that is done automatically in the program itself can be hacked. The license key can only be emailed. If you set up any sort of registration system that allows anyone to get a key "instantly" within the program, then it's always possible for a hacker to abuse the system and get free reg codes, or to buy something with a fraudulent credit card and still get a license key. There are all sorts of security problems with this. And if I get a fraud rate that is too high, then I get my merchant account cancelled and go out of business.

The only reason the current Upgrade procedure works so painlessly is because the Upgrade program (ZSREG) is still protected with the old eLicense system. In order words, if you don't have a valid eLicense reg code, the upgrade program will fail to run. And even when you are able to run it, the server restricts it to running only 3 times. This was a decent compromise on user convience and security.

Besides, I fail to see the difference between entering your email address and password into zMUD and getting a license, vs entering your email address and password into our web site and getting a license. Sure, in the second case you have to wait for the email, but it's automatic and that's only a wait of a minute or so. And it ensures that you enter a valid email address, preventing idiots from using a dummy email address to get a free reg code.

I think all of these questions and complaints need to be put on hold until you actually USE the new system. For example, you can already set up an association between your store account and your forum account, and if you do this, you will automatically log into the store if you are already logged into the forums. It's really a very nice system...much nicer than most any software company I have seen. The ability to go in and see your entire order history and retrieve license keys is a *lot* better than before (where there was no way to get your eLciense reg code if you lost it, for example).

Anyway, you guys are free to complain, and I'm free to ignore you. MOST PEOPLE will be overjoyed to see eLicense go away. But I can't just get rid of copy protection entirely and let hackers use it for free. zMUD is the most hacked piece of software that eLicense ever dealt with during its five years. There are tons of people who try every trick in the book to cheat and steal and use zMUD for free. Something that you might think is "convienent" for the user can end up being a huge security hole. I've tried to do everything I can to make the new system a lot more painless than the old system while preserving this security.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:34 pm   

Rorso, thanks for testing this. Looks like we are still out of luck installing zMUD without Admin privs then. Oh well, I had hopes for this, but I wasn't counting on it. Most every copy protection system needs some sort of registry access to store keys, and that's usually going to require Admin access. Oh well, at least this new system doesn't install a control panel and background service like eLicense did.

I assume you can still run the new zMUD just fine from a User account once it has been run from an Admin account the first time?
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:50 pm   

Ah yes. Don't get me wrong, Zugg. I wasn't complaining in the least. In fact, to be honest, I hadn't thought out the consequences to doing what I suggested before. As for holding off questions until we USE the system, I have been using it today. I just had general questions about the product itself. Personally, I like this new way.

In any case, I'm just wondering what has been changed in the new version other than the way the license is handled, and what does happen if you try to run zMUD from two different computers.

Whatever the case, though, thanks for a great product, Zugg. I'll admit - everything on my computer is free. That is, with the exception of zMUD. This has been the only program I've deemed worthy enough to spend my money on. Thanks again.

Charneus
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 7:43 pm   

I actually meant holding questions until the actual online store system is released. The online store addresses many of the concerns people have been making.

As far as what has changed, I'll update the version history before the public release. I think I already mentioned the changes...the MUD list is now sorted properly, and a couple bugs with MCP package negotiation have been fixed. One other minor fix of something that was in the bug report database that I don't remember.

As far as running zMUD on two difference computers...it obviously can't check this. While there is code in Armadillo to try and enforce this kind of thing, I choose not to enable it. It just has too many issues with proxy servers and firewalls and is pretty easy to defeat. So, all I can say is that you'd *technically* be in violation of the license agreement, just like the guy who has his girlfriend sharing his reg code. And since the license agreement states that only one computer should be using zMUD at any time, I can always choose to enable the checking of this condition in the future if I decide it's a problem. So anyone violating this wouldn't be able to complain if it suddenly stopped working.

Regarding zMUDXP...Yes, it will use the same licensing. *ALL* Zugg Software products will use this licensing. There is no way to have two different electronic stores, and that's what's taking me so long to release this. I have to release new versions of ALL products (AC Explorer, zExplorer, zMapper, etc) so that people can buy them via the Zuggsoft store using the new copy protection, rather than buying them via the eLicense store.
Vorax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:33 pm   

So, zMUD users are testing out this new licensing system... I like this idea. zMUD is among the few pieces of software that I've actually had to pay money for and didn't feel bad for paying it. I bought mine some seven or so years ago. I blame zMUD for the reason I'm still MUDding, but that's not a bad thing. Anyway, I just hope you can pull it off and keep zMUD from being hacked and used for free. I look forward to seeing the new online store.

Oh, and by the way, I don't share my licenses with my girlfriend, she's had one from before I met her. :)
moox
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:22 pm   

Quote:

it displays a box for your name and email address and allows you to change it. This is the only time it can be changed from the upgrade program.

To change your email address at a later time, you log into the Zugg Software Store with your original email and password, and then you can change your email address in your store profile.

I went through the upgrade process, and punched in my new e-mail address. Everything worked well, and I received my code via e-mail. However, the login information at the bottom of the message was linked to my old e-mail address. I've no qualms with changing it when the new store goes up -- but you may want to display a popup box if an address change is detected stating that it will be a necessary step. If I hadn't have scrolled to the bottom of the message -- I'd be [incorrectly] entering my new address if I ever needed to regenerate my key.

I'm sorry if this in incoherent -- not much sleep, early morning, etc... etc... I'd be glad to clarify what I'm talking about when I wake up a bit more if necessary :)

Other than that it was smooth and painless.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:21 pm   

In the current system, the login name is always still set to the old email address and can't be changed. I'm working on changing that today before the new store is released. Once the new store is up, you'll be able to log into the old address and change your username to anything you want. And when this is fixed, changing the email address in the upgrade procedure will update both the email address and the login name.
Vorax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:23 pm   

I also noticed the weirdness with the button and saw a typo in the text of the License window (the one where you enter your name and license key). I can't remember what it was, but I know there was a typo in it. If I had been thinking about it at the time, I would have gotten a screen shot of it.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:51 pm   

Thanks for mentioning the typo. I found it. It had the word "simple" instead of "simply".
Fates

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 6:54 am   

Okay letting you know licensing code works on WinXP 64bit, since you can't install v 7.13b or earlier there due to WinXP 64bit and eLicense issues you have to end run this and upgrade on an eLicensed install on WinXP or earlier and take the code produced and transfer to the WinXP 64bit system. after that there isn't *any* problems that I have encountered

*hugs Zugg*
Hmm this works better than most of the drivers for my system
Fates
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:02 pm   

Wonderful news! Thanks for reporting this Fates. Yet another advantage of the new licensing system. Since they had both an XP and XP64 version of the new copy protection software, I wasn't sure how software wrapped with the XP version would work on XP64. I assumed that their XP64 version of the copy protection system was for people who wanted to actually perform the wrapping on XP64, and it looks like I was right.

As far as doing the upgrade, you will also be able to go to the new Zuggsoft Store and use the Recover Password option to retrieve the login info for your email address (the email address used to purchase zMUD). Once you have your login info, then you can log into the store and retrieve your license key there. Using this method, you don't need to install zMUD on a regular XP system first.

I hope to have the store available to everyone later tonight!
tocnaza

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:27 am   

Nice info! Thanks for sharing us!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: