Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:15 am   

What do EXE files contain?

According to the FAQ:
Quote:
If I write a program using zApp, do my users need to buy zApp too?

No. Using the zApp Pro IDE you can encrypt your zApp program, then link it into an EXE, and then just distribute the EXE to your customers. The EXE will be about 4-5MB in size and will contain everything your customer needs to run your application. When the customer runs the EXE file, your encrypted ZXL zApp file will be automatically extracted to their hard disk. So, to send updates of your software to your customers, you only need to distribute the very small encrypted ZXL files.

I havent tried this out yet (I probably should), but I'll ask anyway:
If I write my code using PerlScript, will the EXE contain everything the user needs to run my PerlScripted app? (since it doesnt come with Windows..)
If I use databases such as SQLite, will the EXE contain the SQLite runtime stuff?

Lady C.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:15 pm   

Normally the EXE will just contain zApp along with your encrypted *.ZXL application file. But using the PROJECT tag you can add a list of other files you want to include. Take a look at the DOCVIEW.ZML file for an example. In that documentation viewer the project tag is used to add the SQLITE.DLL and the DOCVIEW.DB database files.

So adding stuff like the database runtime is easy. What would be harder with PerlScript is making sure that the user somehow got all of the Perl stuff. And if the ActivePerl stuff needs to be actually installed (I think it does), then there isn't any easy way I can think of to run the separate installer.

Also, you might now want to make the EXE file that big. If I was doing this, I'd probably make it clear that the application required ActivePerl to be already installed and make that a separate download.
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:57 pm   

Hmm, Perl can be packed into an exe, I'm sure, just need to know which parts I'd need - Thanks.

I've just tried a simple .zml file, and on linking I get: error cannot find zAppLite.exe, what does it need that foor?

Lady C.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:51 pm   

Oh, you need to download the zAppLite version.

The way the EXE works is that your files (ZXL and whatever else you need) are linked with the ZAPPLITE.EXE file to create YourApp.EXE. This allows you to distribute your EXE app file without any copy protection. The full version of zApp is copy protected and if you tried to link your files with that, then your customers would all need zApp licenses, and you don't want this.

This also means that your application won't load ZML text-based plugins, but only encrypted ZXL plugins (created by developers using zAppPro).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: