Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Onaka

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:11 pm   

restoring settings/files

I started up Zmud earlier today and tried to load the settings for my Mud. I then got a pop up that said something along the lines of "Corrupt Setting Files", i clicked the OK next to it (not like I really had a choice) and then all the settings in that file were deleted (triggers, aliases, variables, etc). This is the first time that I got that message so I had no idea what to think about it. I had a back up of my settings so i tried opening that one, and again recieved the same message and those were deleted as well. I came here and saw the Corrupt setting files page located in the migrating section, but I don't think it does me any good since the corrupted files already deleted my settings. Is there anyway I can restore my settings? or am I simply out of luck?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:56 pm   

If your backup files are also corrupted then there probably isn't much you can do unless you have another backup of your computer files. I always make my own backups of my settings files since they contain a lot of work that I don't want to risk losing. This is true of any file on your computer that is important. I've had enough hard disk crashes just this year to be much more aware of how easy it can be to lose files.

Sometimes you can load a settings file into Notepad and extract some of your scripts that way. Even though they are binary files, the actual scripts are still stored in plain text.

Also, make sure you are using the latest 7.13b version of zMUD. It causes corrupted settings a lot less than older versions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: