Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:07 pm   

zApp White Paper - Need Comments

I am working on a short marketing "white paper" for zApp. This paper will be distributed at the upcoming Shareware Industry Conference in Denver in July. It will be printed as a two-sided glossy color reprint.

I'm soliciting comments on this white paper. You can find it at: zApp White Paper

Please take a look at it and post your suggestions to this thread. Also, keep in mind that it's supposed to be geared towards developers, and it's purpose is markerting zApp and the concept of user-customizeable software.

Thanks for your help and comments!
bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:24 pm   

Zugg,

That was a very well written white paper. It was very clear and to the point. I would like to see a couple things added, just more information.

1) It wasn't clear how can developers can protect their intellectual property. I know that this basically is just separating your domain knowledge into a different component, but it wouldn't hurt to make it clearer. I would leave any of the actual mechanisms (eLicence and other DRM) for the page that you are pointing them to.

2) I think you will pique developer's interest if you mentioned some of the deployment strategies discussed in the forums. The one strategy that made me sit up and take notice was the one where you could run your program by calling a zml file stored at a server (FTP, HTTP, or file share). That would be very attractive for people that want to centralize applications. My current client has a big Access application, and something written with zApp would help aleviate their support pains.

Hope that was helpful!
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 8:45 pm   

Zugg,

I agree with bortaS 100%. Also, I noticed a few things that need correction:
Quote:
Use a familiar programming language, such as Visual Basic or JavaScript.

This should be:
Quote:
Use a familiar programming language, such as VBScript or JavaScript.

Also:
Quote:
Every visual control is zApp is data-aware

should be:
Quote:
Every visual control in zApp is data-aware

Aside from those and bortaS recommendations I think it sounds good. However, you are preaching to the choir here Very Happy so I will see what a few of my co-workers think.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:04 am   

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try to encorporate all of those into the paper. And definitely show it around. I'm also getting it reviewed by my marketing guy who has a lot of experience in the industry. But the more people who look at it this week, the bigger impact I'll be able to make at the conference, and the more successful zApp will be. This conference is the site for the yearly Shareware Awards and there are both developers and press attending. This white paper will be going into each bag that is given out to conference participants, and developers will also be getting a zApp CD with the trial version of zApp.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:19 pm   

I've got the zApp White Paper finished and have sent it to the printers. I also put the PDF files on the web site so you can all get a sneak peek. Each page (front and back) is in a separate PDF file:

Front page of zApp White Paper
Back page of zApp White Paper

I think it turned out pretty nice. Hopefully it will generate some zApp sales!
bortaS
Magician

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:20 pm   

Very well done! I saw the picture on the first page, and was thinking why it was there, then I realized that you are going to be handing this out. This should cement in people's minds who is behind zApp. Wink

I got to the second page, and got sucked in by that link at the end. Laughing I say it did what it was supposed to do, attract people so they can see the buy link.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:09 pm   

Cool, thanks for the comments! Yeah, my picture is also there because I wanted it to look like a reprint of some magazine editorial, and many editorials have the picture of the columnist at the top. And yes, face recognition at the conference was another reason :)
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:10 pm   

I think it is very well done, too! And now I know what Zugg *really* looks like! Very Happy I skimmed through it at work here but I'll read through it more thoroughly tonight. BTW, when was the date for the shareware convention again?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:36 pm   

It's July 14-16th. URL is: www.sic.org
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:35 pm   

Ouch.. I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier, but.. there is no "PERL", the language is "Perl" and the binary is "perl".. And any Perl professional seeing "PERL" used won't be too impressed.

Apart from that, what you meant was PerlScript, which is part of the ActiveState Perl distribution, and allows Perl to be used as a WSH language.

Lady C.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:58 pm   

Yep, you are correct, but it's too late now. Already had 500 copies printed and shipped.
Kiasyn
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:18 am   

oset 'white paper' rmed PERL
oset 'white paper' ed Perl
/s
oset 'white paper' ed perl
/s

:P
sorry mudding too long whee!
Check out Talon, an easy IMC connection.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: