Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Acidic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:00 am   

Substitution and wildcards

I want to substitute text for a shorter message, but I'm having difficulty with the wildcards in parenthesis:

Code:
#tr {^{Letting * droop, (%w) suddenly heaves it up at you|With a focused look, (%w) strikes at you with *|With a heavy overhand stroke, (%w) slams * down upon you|With a powerful lunge, (%w) strikes at you with *}. Your ({left|right}) leg is elegantly %w and swept out from under you, knocking you to the ground.$} {#sub {%ansi(gray)%1 strikes you, hitting your %2 leg.}

Using this, the %1 will only work if the first message (Letting * droop, (%2) suddenly heaves it up at you) is displayed from the MUD, whereas %2 will only work for the second message displayed.

Can someone please tell me how I can substitute this successfully? I've tried a few combinations, and all have failed because of the differing messages that can appear. Using &attacker in place of the (%w) in the trigger also doesn't seem to work, since it creates the variable, but doesn't assign a value to it.
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:58 am   

Create four triggers? I believe four triggers in this case would even improve the speed of your session, since three of them wouldn't need to be checked before firing.
Acidic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:11 am   

Ah, thank you =) I was unsure which would be faster.
GaidinBDJ
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:38 pm   

The help file says you can't use patterns inside of the {|} thingy. That could be why none of the rest are firing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: