Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion
Krule
Adept

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 12:47 pm   

Issues with latest build [2.2.0.57]

1) Life demo doesn't do...anything. If I click in the black area I get a script error: Expected Statement Line 9, Column 7: End Sub

2) .zml files are associate with Zapp but don't have the icon, this could be related to installing/uninstalling/installing. I'll see if I can force it

3) I thought the database drivers were being included with zApp compiled into the program, or did that change? I might have missed a thread
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:04 pm   

1) Reproduced. Edit the LIFE.ZML file and in the OnCellClick event for the grid, remove the "end sub" line. That was left over from the event syntax conversion. Usually when I test the life program I select Random from the menu and click start...I guess I hadn't tried clicking on the grid in the most recent version.

2) There seems to be a problem with the icons for zApp in the compressed zApp file. I'm aware of this problem and it's on my list to look at for the public version.

3) Nope, bundling the database drivers was causing problems with the compression routines, so they were removed. I'll be making the driver set available as a separate download. For now you can just use whatever driver already comes with your database. For example, to use mysql, you just need the mysqllib.dll file from the MySQL site. zApp uses all of the native drivers that are provided by the database vendor.
Krule
Adept

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:17 pm   

More problems...

The life demo never does anything, started/stopped... I hit randomize, then play..nada.

Two, life demo again, when you hover over play, if it's pressed, it says Pause. It should say stop (Not a big deal)

And this is unrelated but I need to ask and I have your attention here...is there a component that I can place that is like a free floating panel? I'm looking to make an access-like database viewer...so I need several panels that are able to be moved by the user.

Thanks...also 1 more thing about the the database stuff. Do I need a driver if I want to just use an odbc connection? Or does vbscript or jscript or whatever handle all that on it's own?
Krule
Adept

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 5:22 pm   

Oh..another thing..Is there a dtd for zml files? Reason I ask is that the editor I use can read the dtd and help to auto-fill in what i want, and has code-insight and whatnot (Eclipse xml editor)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:07 pm   

Actually, "Pause" is correct. When the Play button is pressed, pressing it again will pause it, not stop it. The difference is that when it's paused you can click the Pause button to single-step.

Not sure why it's not working.

Oh wait...I just tried the actual build that you are using and reproduced the problem. It works in my new build. I think the problem with the build you have is that the OnTimer event is not set as the default property for the timer. So if you add a around the Timer script, then it should work. And this is already fixed for the next release.

I don't have any panels that can be moved by the user yet. Moveable panels and docking panels (and sliding panels, etc) will be in a future version. The DevExpress panel controls have several bugs related to Theme drawing that I need to fix and I don't want to hold up the public release for this.

For an ODBC connection, use the ADO driver in zApp (assuming you have Microsoft MDAC installed, which you probably do). For example, in the DBVIEW demo, click the Connect button, then select ADO in the top drop-down menu, then click the Browse button and you'll get the standard Windows connection browser.

In a script, if you have a DSN defined for an ODBC connection, then you just set the Filename property of the zConnection to the DSN name:
Code:
Connection.Filename= "DSNName"

and this will automatically set the driver to use ADO. (Or, in the demo, click the Connection button and just enter the DSN name into the Filename field)

As far as a DTD file for ZML, I don't have one yet. Things are still changing too much right now to define one, and it's not something that is needed for the public release. But I'll have one eventually. The problem is that a full DTD file will actually need the full zApp syntax, including the list of allowed properties for each object tag, and that's a lot of work that changes everytime I add a new property or method.
Krule
Adept

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:17 pm   

Awesome, I actually went to look through the KB for a bit, found PromptConnection which is handy

Also..and this could be my mysql odbc connector, I was having issues using odbc to retrieve 200+ records, but I have no other databases to test other than this mysql one..so it could be the driver.

Also, why is Filename = DSNName? Shouldn't it be DSNName = DSNName?

Sorry for bugging ... just trying to feel my way around, for now I'll try to use tabs to accomplish what I want as far as the database browser
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:47 pm   

Try setting the MaxRecords property of the zQuery object to zero in case the ZeosLib stuff is adding a default limit to the size of the record set. zApp isn't doing anything like this though, but I haven't had time to dig into the ZeosLib source code. MySQL has a LIMIT statement that is sometimes used to limit the number of records.

DSNName only makes sense for ODBC connections, and the zConnection object is more general than that. It doesn't make sense to add a property to zConnection that is only valid for a certain database driver. So, I use the Filename property, which is already a zApp-specific property. It's a "smart" property that checks the string passed to it to see if it's a valid filename. If it's not a filename (no . in the name), then the protocol is set to ADO and it is passed as the DSN name. If it's a valid filename, then the protocol (driver) is set based upon the file extension. Setting a *.MDB filename sets the driver to ADO, setting a *.DB filename sets the driver to SQLite, etc.

A more standard way would be to set the ConnectionString property to "DSN=name" where name is the name of your DSN. So if you are looking for standards, the ConnectionString is the property to use (and its the property set by the PromptConnection method).
Krule
Adept

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:53 pm   

Yeah that is infact what I started to use today....so far I'm enjoying this style of programming, only I don't know vb/j script yet..so it's tough :p

Maybe we could compile some tutorials or something for people...I dunno I'll pick it up quick i'm sure
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 10:56 pm   

Have you already looked at the Tutorial in the zApp area? Go to http://www.zuggsoft.com/zapp and click on the Tutorials link in the Navigate menu on the left.
Krule
Adept

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 11:14 pm   

Five steps ahead of me as usual Zugg. :)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: