Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zApp Developers
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:53 pm   

Access Violation

You may already know this one but just in case I wanted to post this:

I keep getting an "Access violation at address ##### in module 'zApp.exe'. Read of address #####." (Obviously, the ## value changes.)

I have gotten this error several times in previous builds, however, this error can get so bad (they keep popping up one after another) that I have to use Task Manager to end zApp. I believe it is linked to the window redraw for the Themes. The more I change the skin, the more errors pop-up (for example: on resizing the window; when moving a window over top of it so the zApp window requires a redraw, etc.)

I do have to say that I love the new grid. Will you be adding an ability to print it?

No rush on this bug, Zugg, since I know you need a break.

Edited to Add: Okay, the bug is a little more inconsistent then I mentioned but it is related to the themes. BTW, awesome work on fixing the themes! Now I can select any of the themes and the menu items don't go transparent in the background!
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:21 pm   

Okay, I have to add this to the above post. I was using the computer after closing a zApp file that was giving me the "Access Violation" error message and the error starting coming up when I was minimizing windows, etc. They kept popping up like crazy. I went to Task Manager and saw that it was still running (even though I closed the running ZML app.) After a few tries I got it end.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:58 am   

Can you pin it down to any specific demo program or any specific theme? Or any other way to reproduce it? I've done a lot of theme switching during testing here and never run into that sort of access violation myself, so I'm a bit perplexed.

If it was still running in the background, it sounds like some sort of threading problem, but only a couple of the demos use threads.
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:27 pm   

It has happened consistently on 3 different computers I've tested it on. I'll see what I can do to give better instructions on how to reproduce it.
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:21 pm   

You are probably right that the Access Violation is not caused by the Themes. However, here are two things to try:

Bug in the Themes:
Open DBView.zml
Click: Connect
Click: Browse
Select "Look in" drop-down and use slider, select a drive (try this several times.)
The background in the drop-down list box will become transparent and the redraw will be messed up (after doing this a couple times I got an "Index out of bounds" error.)

The following will consistently (for me) create an Access Violation error:
Open DBView.zml.
Select Help > About
Close About window (the OK button doesn't work in your latest demo, so close using the top-right close button.)
Repeat this step one more time.
If an Access Violation error hasn't yet occurred for you then select some themes and resize the window, etc.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:33 pm   

a) The Open File dialog opened by the Browse button in the connect dialog is still using the old ThemeEngine controls. This dialog will be replaced. In general, don't worry about problems in any of the pop-up dialogs. The ThemeEngine code that handles them is just horrible.

b) The About box problem sounds more like a zApp problem, so I'll give that a try. In some cases closing a window using the X button doesn't properly clean up stuff (partly a Delphi bug and partly a Windows messaging bug), so it's definitely possible for this to cause side effects like this. But I should be able to fix that.

Thanks for the help on trying to track down these problems.
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:37 pm   

Aren't you supposed to be off until tomorrow? Wink
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:39 pm   

Also, Zugg, I have VMWare and VirtualPC. I can test zApp in just about any OS and configuration (ex. IE version) you'd like. Just let me know.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zApp Developers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: