Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zApp Developers
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:03 am   

Scripter Studio

Zugg,

I just thought I'd post this as an FYI. It would allow advanced compiled scripting in either Pascal or Basic:
http://www.tmssoftware.com/scriptstudio.htm#whatsnew

It probably doesn't fit into the zApp philosophy but I thought since I came accross it by accident I'd let you know about in case you didn't (I was actually looking up themes for ThemeEngine when I clicked on a link that lead me to click on a link... etc.)

Go ahead and delete this thread if you want after you read it.

-Steven

Last edited by theNerd on Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:10 am; edited 1 time in total
slicertool
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:00 am   

I believe this is one of the packages he was considering in the very early stages of zApp.

Thinking back on it, I really think it is, because I remember the TMS Software site.
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:10 am   

Some of the features look nice, for example the step-through debugging. I think what is in zApp is fine, though.
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 9:16 am   Re: Scripter Studio

Here are the forum references:

Scripting tool

First Alpha Release

Zugg wrote:
Their web site and advertising make their component set look really good, but it's only when you actually start using it and dig into their source code that you find how bad the code is. So far I'm only using them (TMS is their name btw) for the Grid and Label (with basic HTML support). So I haven't invested much in them yet.
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:31 pm   

Thanks for the links, mr_kent!
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:45 pm   

Yeah, the problem with their Scripting Studio is that it completely ignores the Microsoft Scripting Host interface. I didn't want to limit myself to only certain languages in zApp. By using the Microsoft Scripting interface that is built into every version of Windows, it allows you to use any scripting language that you want which supports this. Most of the solid scripting systems that have been around for a while, like Perl, Python, etc, all have "active scripting" versions.

The fact that TMS ignored this well-defined scripting interface is just another example of how much of their code isn't really "commercial" quality. I'm sure there are probably other Pascal-like scripting systems out there which *do* interface to the scripting engine.

Of course, the downside of this is that it will be very difficult to provide an IDE with syntax checking, debugging, etc, since there won't be any easy way to know what the syntax of the chosen scripting language is. I'll probably end up including some stuff for the default VBScript and JScript languages, but for stuff like Perl, Python, etc, it will be difficult to implement.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:06 am   

Maybe you could do what many syntax-highlighting programs do and have a file which defines the colour words should be highlighted ... eg UltraEdit has a weird looking textfile that says stuff like:

Quote:

/L1"C/C++" Line Comment = // Block Comment On = /* Block Comment Off = */ Escape Char = \ String Chars = "' File Extensions = C CPP CC H HPP AWK
/Delimiters = ~!@%^&*()-+=|\/{}[]:;"'<> , .?
/Function String = "%[a-zA-Z_]*)"
/Indent Strings = "{"
/Unindent Strings = "}"
/C1
auto
break
case char const continue
default do double
else enum extern
float for
goto
if int
long
register return
short signed sizeof static struct switch
typedef
union unsigned
void volatile
while
__asm __fastcall __self __segment __based __segname __fortran __cdecl __huge __far __saveregs __export __pascal __near __loadds __interrupt __inline
#define #error #include #elif #if #line #else #ifdef #pragma #endif #ifndef #undef
/C2
class
delete
friend
inline
new
operator
private protected public
this try
virtual
__multiple_inheritance __single_inheritance __virtual_inheritance
/C4
+
-
=
// /
%
&
>
<
^
!
|

Sure, it doesn't do syntax checking, but that's not as important so long as you can get info like "Error on line XXX: Missing )" when you try and compile the script.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:58 am   

Yep, that's basically what I'll probably end up doing. There are several possible 3rd party components that do this, and when I get into doing the IDE I'll be evaluating them a bit more. I'll mainly be looking for something that works with the RichView editor component that I'm using in zApp. There is a crude syntax highlighter that works with it, but I'm still in search of something better. I really don't want to give up the RichView editor component at this point since it is very powerful and does most everything a rich text editor should do, and more. It already supports the Addict spellchecker and has powerful HTML import and export features that are needed for eMobius, along with a rich set of predefined Actions (see the Editor demo for examples).
theNerd
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:21 am   

Is there a way to "lock" the content in the RichView so it can't be edited or selected but only viewed?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:06 am   

Yes, there is a ReadOnly property somewhere. Like the other complex controls (grid, tree, etc) I haven't fully published or wrapped all of the RichView functionality yet.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zApp Developers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: