Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:57 am   

can zmud send multiple commands in the 1 tcp/ip packet?

I play IRE muds.. aetolia/imperian both. (they're spawn of achaea).

I'm in australia, on a decent adsl connection. My ping to the wolfpaw sever is about 300ms on average. Rarely higher. When I'm fighting someone from the states who is on a decent connection, with a low ping, I encounter a problem..

If I send the following 3 commands with an alias/macro:

snk target left
hfp target left
hfp target left

(which is a monk combo aimed at the left leg)
My opponent, if fast enough, have the time to switch their parry to the left leg, after my snapkick (snk) and before the two punches. I asked about this on the imperian webforums, to see if it was a common thing, and a lot of questions were raised.

One thing noted, is that if the three commands were send in the same packet, they would arrive at the sever all at once. I've been advised to check my maximum transfer unit, as it could be too small.. and its also possible that the rapture system at the mud end has a bug... however...

I just wanted to know how zmud sends commands, and if it does send in separate packets, is it possible to force it to send them together?
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:36 am   

You could try #SEND {snk target left%{cr}hfp target left%{cr}hfp target left}
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:03 pm   

I am not sure you can say "send this in one packet". While you probably can increase the chance something is sent in one packet a lot of stuff happens while the data travels. As I remember it packets can be merged, and split during their journey to a server.

In atleast Winsock there is also a small send delay. If we send some data it won't be sent until after that delay in order to get as much data as possible into one single packet.

Most of the above is stuff I have found out through experience and not much I have read about so I can be wrong here. Still I am quite certain that packets indeed can be split/merged while going towards the server even if sent in one packet originally.
littleron
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:10 pm   

It actually seems as though ZMud sends it all in one packet. If the MUD is fast enough, I know I have triggers that just instantaneously pop three commands in well under a second. For example loot corpse, sacrafice corpse. What it comes down to his how fast the MUD accepts those commands and if there is a delay. Perhaps rapture takes one command, does it, then does the next ect, instead of just taking all three and doing all three simultaneously. I really don't think it's your connection, although perhaps there is a delay in your send time like stated earlier. If that were the case, thats the problem.
Malawar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:26 am   

The problem is, most MUDs process your commands one line per loop. So even if it all went in one packet, it would still only process one command per game loop. Which means that if you and your opponent both send a packet of multiple commands, it' will shuffle between them in order.
Caled
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:13 pm   

Its not simultaneous commands from both people though. I send my three, he receives the first of the three, and sends his own which arrives before my second one does.
Malawar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:14 pm   

As long as he sends before your second command processes it'll go through first. In this case I imagine he's got a trigger set setup to instantly respond to whatever you do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: