Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
shadowsurfer
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:25 pm   

Button Window

I play a mud that you can call followers and those followers have commands for you to command them (makes sense, right?). There are around 3-10 commands that are a must. And there are at most three of these followers you could call and control with some degree of efficiency. I was thinking a window along the right side of zmud (since that area is of no use to me) with buttons that I could just click and the command would go out. Problem is, I have NO clue how to create another window that stays docked on the right AND I have NO clue how to put the buttons there. Any Help?

The commands look like follower <name> rush attacker or follower <name> cast magic missile on attacker or follower <name> cast sticks into snakes.. stuff like that. So I would need, for instance, three buttons labeled Rush, MM, SiS in a seperate window.

Yes, I could alias but that would be too confusing for me. Any help, thanks.
Htor
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:54 pm   

Why not just Macro them? You can keep your hands on the keybord. See "Introduction to Macros" in the help file.
shadowsurfer
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:31 pm   

because it won't just be two or three macros.. with 3 followers i will end up with about 15+ commands.. so my hands wouldn't be on the keyboard, they'd be going through printed papers so i could figure out what the command is i want.. so i figured buttons would be easier
misterbalrog
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:40 pm   

well.. I dunno if yer like me, but... You can place another window by using the "Quick Tiling" option in the layout menu to "Tile Horizontally".
Then you could create alot of buttons in that other window by using the Ctrl+B (Create Button short command) command. Then you can send things to your main window by using <window name>:<cmd> type commands. Like I have my main window named "Balrog", then it would be for instance to issue a command in group;

Balrog:grouptell Flee! FLee! FLEE!!!!!

If you haven't named your windows, then the first window will be your main window(<window num>:<cmd>). Thus using this will also be available to you;

1:grouptell Flee! FLEE! FLEE GAWDDARNIT!

Hope that helps. However. You can't combine upper multi-tab'd windows with a window on the right. So either on the right or on the top.

To create a window, type #window <name>, i.e. #window blar
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:08 pm   

misterbalrog wrote:

You can't combine upper multi-tab'd windows with a window on the right. So either on the right or on the top.

To create a window, type #window <name>, i.e. #window blar

You can combine them, but it becomes a hassle to modify them. To do it, create a blank/text-only window first and make sure it has focus each time you add a new window to be tabbed.

There are four button 'panels' that may be populated. A new window isn't even necessary to make buttons on the right. Just create the buttons in the main window and select an unused panel and RIGHT from the size/position tab of each button.
shadowsurfer
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:45 pm   

Well so far, I like Mr. Kent's post and have gone to that for now. I'll test it but it looks like what i'm looking for. Another question.. as I gain more buttons, will the panel just expand left as necessary? Again, thanks.
misterbalrog
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:13 pm   

Ah, one learns new tricks everyday. I haven't noticed the panel option before. And I did try to tile a window on the right of the main window, but it required for me to actually use the Layout - Auto Tiling Option for me to get it to work. Could be that the previous option "Multiple Tabs" interfered with it.

Having multiple panels will be useful for me aswell as I will then use diff classes to display diff buttons in the right section (for diff OLC series of commands to be run)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: