Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion
Talahaski
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 8:50 pm   

Purchase question

Sorry Zugg, but I have not been following the topics in the last few months and I'm a little confused about the versions.

If I buy the pro version, do I also need to buy the user version to use it myself? I would assume the pro version would come with the user version and include the extra need stuff for developers, but since you priced both versions the same, I'm not sure if this is true.

Also, how does emobius fix into this.

dartmud.com 2525
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:15 pm   

Yes, I need to make this clearer on the web pages. The PRO version *DOES NOT INCLUDE* the User Edition. So yes, you need to buy both. In a sense, the cost for the PRO version is an "upgrade" cost for the User Edition. Each product needs to have a separate license and elicense doesn't have any way to create a single registration code that works for both products properly.

eMobius will also have a separate charge. Since you will be able to run eMobius using the free runtime version of zApp, I need to have a separate license for eMobius or else it would end up being free too. My guess is that eMobius will also be about $30, which gives you a nice email client for $30, and then for people who want to fully customize it, they pay an extra $30 for the EndUser version of zApp, for a total of $60.

My guess is that the prices for eMobius and zApp EndUser won't change very much. The price that will definitely go up in the future is the PRO version since eventually that will be an entire visual IDE system, and only serious developers really need that.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:51 pm   

Actually, I just talked with eLicense and it's easier to do than I thought. So, given the confusion that is likely to arise, I think I'll change how this is done and have zAppPro *include* the zApp runtime and then charge $60 for zAppPro. My guess is that will make more sense to people. Then I can have an "upgrade" price to go from zApp User to zApp Pro for people who already have zApp User.

Anyway, thanks for reminding me about this. I'll see if I can get this straightened out over the next couple of days.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 12:28 am   

Sorta on topic.. those of us who preordered eMobius get zApp Pro and eMobius with that preorder yeah?

Or is it just zApp user and eMobius?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:25 am   

Umm, you should already know the answer to this, right? I mentioned it in the release and you have probably already tried it. Pre-order customers get *everything*. So, you get zApp User, zApp Pro, and the eventual beta version of eMobius. I've always said that I treat my pre-order customers well :)
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 1:42 am   

That's what I guessed, but just wanted to make sure :)

I probably skipped right past where you mentioned it and clicked the download link hehe, you know how it is, people never RTFM because its easier to post ;)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:45 am   

Actually, it turns out that it's really tricky to charge $60 for the full "Pro" version and then have a separate upgrade for people who already have the End User edition and want the Pro edition. eLicense just doesn't handle upgrades very well since it requires access to the order ID database that they tend to keep highly protected.

Anyway, I've kept it the way it was. There is the End User edition for $30, and the "Pro" version which I'm now calling the zApp Pro IDE to emphasize that this is just the Intergrated Development Environment (or will be eventually). And the zApp IDE is also $30 and I'm trying to make it clear on the ordering pages that the zApp IDE *requires* the zApp End User edition.

For the online store I'll probably eventually put together a "bundle" price for purchasing the IDE along with the End User edition, but I have to wait to get the basic store working first.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: