Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:20 am   

String Library - URL Encode

I was concerned in: http://forums.zuggsoft.com/mx/modules/mx_kb/kb.php?mode=doc&k=1176

that you said

Quote:

Although the ASCII space character is listed as unsafe in this RFC, in practice a space is allowable in modern URLs. If you wish, you can convert spaces to '+' or '%20' codes using the str.Replace function:

str.Replace( Source, ' ', '+') or
str.Replace( Source, ' ', '%20')

Given that IE still uses %20 to this day, I think doing a second replace on a string after encoding the URL is scanning the string 2x... I guess URLs are usually small, but its the principal of the thing ;)

You should have another URL encode which does the %20 by default :)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 1:25 am   

Can someone verify this? I can't think of a URL that uses a space in it off the top of my head, but I'm pretty sure that even IE allows spaces in URLs these days.

But in general, since this is a scripting language, scanning a string twice like a URL isn't a huge deal. If you want speed then you just write your own function that does both at once. I don't really feel a huge need to add yet another function or option for this. But if browsers still don't allow spaces these days, then I'll go ahead and convert spaces to %20 by default.

If someone has a URL with a space in it that can be used for testing, let me know.
Krule
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:48 am   

Url with spaces:

[url]http://krule.net/oldpics/pics/Books and Books.jpg[/url]

Firefox automagically translates it to this:
http://krule.net/oldpics/pics/Books%20and%20Books.jpg

(Thats a small fraction of the books in my room atm..heh)
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:11 am   

IE also converted this to %20
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:04 pm   

Right. They convert it, but it still works. If you copy/paste it into IE it works. I guess the real test is to see if it works in a low-level HTTP GET request or not. I'll test this with the zApp stuff and find out.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: