Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:59 pm   

What ever happened to manners?

This blog entry is dedicated to Chiara, who is sick in bed today. I was looking at some of the customer email she has been dealing with, and came across this entry (private information removed to protect the guilty):
Quote:
Since you refuse to make good on the contract you made with me when I first purchased your product and you also refuse to even acknowledge the email I sent requesting my registration code I will be filing papers, it is a point of honor for me and I am a lawyer. I will also be requesting the expenses for my time and filing fees attached with such legal actions which could be as much as an additional $500.00 in the state you are registered in.
I will wait another 5 days to give you time to resolve this by sending
the regcode attached to the email I used when first purchasing your
product: *edited*
After that time I will be pursuing the only recourse left to me.

Chiara deals with this kind of crap all the time and she is a lot more polite about it than I would be. Whatever happened to politeness and manners? I think it was Robert Heinlein who wrote that the first sign of the fall of civilization is the disappearence of manners.

Sure, we were in Houston for a week and were slower than normal answering email. What what "contract" is this idiot refering to? Either this is one terrible lawyer who never even read the zMUD license agreement, or it's some kid pretending to be a lawyer who is used to going up to other kids in the playground and demanding their lunch money or else he'll beat them up. He'd "file papers" for a $30 ($25 back when he bought it) software program? And then try to charge me for his time? Get real. Any court in the country would throw this out without even hearing it.

But it's people like this (and Chiara deals with them every day) that are contributing to the ruin of this world. Then again, at least he didn't use vulgar languages like some kids we hear from.

Perhaps I should take the same approach that my bank does whenever I ask for something that requires them to look up information:
Quote:
Yes sir, I'd be happy to take care of that for you and will immediately send you your registration code. Of course, you'll have to pay the handling and administrative fee of $30 for that service.

Anyway, kudos to the great job that Chiara does dealing with our customers. Oh, here is the actual reply that Chiara sent to this customer:
Quote:
I apologize for the delay in answering your initial request. Our small family business was closed for several days.

As a member of the legal profession, I would have expected you to more carefully review the initial contract. While Zugg Software does in fact promise that all future upgrades will be free, we do not, nor have we ever promised that we will resend lost codes. Your initial purchase receipt stated quite clearly that you should print and save your registration information as you would need it in the future for upgrades.

Due to the unbelievable abuse of our lenient system in the past, we have been forced to issue an official policy that we will no longer resend registration codes. We do not feel it in any way unreasonable to require customers to maintain their own records. Nor do the banking or legal professions, so we feel we are in good company on this issue.

However, because we are a small company and we do value our customers, and because there was no effective way to make all customers aware of our new policy, we are currently granting exceptions in cases where there is no previous history of abuse.

Your registration code is: *edited*

Please SAVE this information carefully to prevent any future inconvenience.

Get better soon Chiara!
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:28 am   

Oh great, now I've caught Chiara's cold too. I really don't have time for this! Sad
Chiara
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:14 pm   

Oh for heavens sake. Why do people who want a favor and a policy exception think threatening me is the way to go?

Irritating git of the day:

Quote:

Maybe I didn't make myself clear, i tried nice, now, lets try not so nice. I have records of my purchase, I used my credit card, You have records of my purchase. Now, I have been patient, I have sent more than one email. I have given you several days to respond. What this now comes down to is this, I need a response. Immediatly. Tell me the Info you need. I will get you what I can, IF I do not hear from you, I will collect my information, and I will speak with a lawyer in regards to credit card fraud, ect ect. we will just talk to him, see what he suggests I do. Or, you can answer my email, you can send me my registration code, and we can all get alone.

How eager is a lawer going to be to litigate against a struggling family business over a $25 piece of software that the plaintiff has provably used multiple times since purchase nearly a year ago?

Anyone?

Two in a week causes me to get snippy.

Quote:

As I can prove that you purchased the product nearly a year ago, and that you have both received and used the product, I believe any attempt to claim credit card fraud will be scorned.

You apparently did not read your original receipt, which clearly stated that you *would* need your registration code in the future, and that you should *save* it carefully. I fail to see how we can be perceived to be at fault for your faulty record keeping. Our only promise is free upgrades. Your registration will continue to be valid on new versions of zMUD. Your ability to access zMUD is your responsibility.

However, it is currently my informal, personal policy to grant exceptions to requests where there is no previous history of abuse. Despite your unwarranted hostility, I will continue this policy.

Registration Name: ***

While I understand that it does seem long in our 24/7 society, please note that not all companies are large enough to be 24/7, and a 2 business day delay for a reply is not unreasonable.

I think I'll just start copy/pasting these replies.
Rehcra
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:10 pm   

Chiara, we love you!

Although I fear the day, when I ask for my zMapper code, which I lost a long time ago.
<SHIVER> Embarassed

Rehcra
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:45 pm   

It is amazing that so many legally threaten you Very Happy. It is almost sad Crying or Very sad. A lot of those people might not have much experience with the good quality support Zuggsoft has though.

So far all of my support needs have been professionally handled by Zuggsoft. It has actually hurt me in a way because now I kind of expect atleast the same quality from other companies. I mean ... a developer that actually talks and listens to its users. Isn't bound by a NDA and you can affect the development of the software. And friendly you are too. That is great.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:39 pm   

I commiserate with both of you. Some people's nitrogen compounds really would be better off in the soil. Too bad they just aren't smart enough to clean up the gene pool themselves.

I know, those statements are bad; but they are funny at times too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Zugg's Blog All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: