Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Fastidious
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:06 pm   

zMUDs Mapper Problems

Hello, I have a registered version of the current stable zMUD. When I use the automapper in zmud it gives me some problems. I pretty much gave up on using the auto-configuration tools and went to manualy making the rooms. The problem is still the same none the less. When I make like for example 2 rooms and link it east/west. I will select the first room and select "Set Location" then "Set Start Location". When I walk "east" the pin follows me like it should. Then when I walk back west, the pin follows, goes away and it switched to level "-1" when I was on level "0". I have no idea why it wants to switch levels as if I went "west then down". I then clicked to "merge stacked rooms" and that still didn't help. Can anyone else help me?

-Fastidious
Fastidious
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:00 pm   

Bumb
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 11:11 pm   

Please wait at least a day or two before bumping your topic

Please post the FULL output of you walking between the two rooms chances are something in the room desc is making the map think you went down.

#nomap
#nodir

//Woohoo first user to use the new Article links!
Fastidious
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:36 am   Re: zMUDs Mapper Problems

Fastidious wrote:
I pretty much gave up on using the auto-configuration tools and went to manualy making the rooms.

The example I gave was ment for 2 blank rooms linked together with default settings on level 0. Sorry I bumped the topic but im getting alittle upset being this is what the 4-5th major zmud update and the automapper still shouldn't been released due to all the bugs it currently still has.

-Fastidious

Last edited by Fastidious on Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Daagar
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:47 am   

You need to give examples of the mud output for anyone to give you even a bit of help. You are also largely on your own if you wander off into setting things manually rather than using autoconfig (as is specifically mentioned in the docs). Use the auto-config, with #tag triggers defined as necessary.

The mapper has been functional since version 3.62 I believe. Coming here and claiming that it shouldn't be released is ignorant and spiteful, and will NOT garner you much in the way of help.
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:43 am   

There are fewer bugs in the mapper module then in Zmud itself and none are major bugs, And even if your oding it "manually" Things in the roomdesc etc can throw the mapper off exspecially on poorly coded muds

Setting up the automapper
Fastidious
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:55 am   

Dear god man, this isn't hard to understand :)

When I said "manual" I ment 2 BLANK ROOMS that I created in 2 seconds with the toolbar in the mapper. I then linked them together from "East to West". I then set my location. If you know the mapper you know it follows your directions on the mud. So when I went west the pin followed to the west room (Remember thier is only 2 rooms). When I go back east the pin goes away and switching to the next level for unexplained reasons (Hence my problem).

Now I DID IT LIKE THIS JUST IN CASE THE ROOM DESCRIPTIONS DID MESS WITH IT but being i have no room descriptions, no room scripts, no zone scripts, and ect...

Now I have no clue on why you guys are asking me for "More output" to better help my problem. Read my statements before hand and if you don't know anything about the mapper then don't bother helping me. I don't mean to sound rude or anything but it's like you guys are leading me in circles here when I stated that it's 2 manual rooms that are blank. So I dono why you guys are suggesting that it's something in the output of the room. THERE IS NO OUTPUT!!! Lord :) I guess ill try to contact zugg for more help. Thanks for trying

Quote:
The mapper has been functional since version 3.62 I believe. Coming here and claiming that it shouldn't be released is ignorant and spiteful, and will NOT garner you much in the way of help.

I wanted to adress this being the MAPPER has ALWAYS been Buggy. Just look at the post above this one and you see yet another agreeing. The automapper is tricky I understand this. This is the first time ive attempted to use it since the last update and now it's more problems. Everyone who uses this part of zmud knows it's a pain in the neck one day and the best the next day. So please don't try to tell me about it when you obviously can't read my simple input as above then tell me im ignorant for saying a buggy portion of zmud shouldn't have been released. It should have had more time spent on it working out both "Manual" and "Auto configuration" modes. zMUD as a whole is the best mud client out there and I stand by it. That is why I have been a licensed user for 3-4 years now.

-Fastidious[/quote]
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:29 am   

It doesn't matter that your not capturing names or desc THERE could be something in the output FROM the mud that is causing the mapper to move down With output we might be able to fix this problem as I have run across and fixed these kinds of problems before, and if your refering to my post I am not agreeing with you the mapper has no real major bugs. If you wan't support then supply what is asked for? Why is it so hard noone is gonna laugh at you.

And if it matters I have my complete mud mapped out with all kinds of working scripts on it and it hasn't failed me yet. An Email to Zugg is most likely gonna tell you to ask for help on the forum.

Quote:
It should have had more time spent on it working out both "Manual" and "Auto configuration" modes.

They both work fine? What is Zugg supposed to do. Log into every mud there is and make sure his auto configure works for it?

I have yet to find a mud I cannot get the mapper working for and I have yet to find a mud that needs extensive tweaking

If you want help figuring this out then give us some output
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:46 pm   

I preformed the same test with a blank character and could not get this 'bug' to appear. Perhaps if you supplied some details on the map configuration used we could help. Also you might just want to zip and email the entire folder to me at vijilant@nycap.rr.com. I will take a look at it when I have time and see if I can suggest anything.
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:50 pm   

There were problems with zMud's mapper in the versions before 7.04. The current mapper is far superior to the previous versions. There is a definite possibility that something is still not working right.

Fastidious hasn't told us the exact method he used to create the problem he is experiencing. He hasn't told us if he's working on-line or off-line; what his prompt is, if any;what #TAG/#NODIR/#NOMAP triggers he's created; whether he's creating the map with the icon tool bar; or, how he is attempting to move between the two blank rooms, entering directions at the commandline? using the keypad? neural link?

To test Fastidious's assertion, I;

1. pressed Esc at the character database window to open a new session.
2. opened a new mapper window by clicking the map button on the button bar.
3. clicked the map-creation button in the mapper window.
4. clicked once on the room button in the mapper window.
5. clicked once on the map, creating a room.
6. repeated steps 4&5, creating a room to the right of the first one.
7. clicked the link button in the mapper window and linked the rooms from right(east) to left.
8. clicked the left room, highlighting it.
9. clicked the pushpin button, setting current location.
10. typed an 'e' at the command line. The current location (blue dot) didn't move.

11. switched to follow mode by clicking the follow button in the mapper.
12. typed an 'e' at the command line. The current location (blue dot) moved accordingly.

13. repeated steps 1-12, but trying different variations in steps 7&8, with similar results as the first trial.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
14. started over with a new map and selected keyboard creation under the 'zone' menu item in the mapper window.
15. found out that the mapper window must have focus for this to work.
16. if the map is totally empty, then typing a direction on the number keypad creates a single room with loop links in two directions. This isn't correct, I think.

17. tried variations of all previous steps.

I was not able to reproduce the behavior described by Fastidious. Without more information as to how he is creating the map and moving about in it, I won't be able to help.

====================================================================================

-Fastidious - What mud is this? Mapping manually is absolutely no fun, but still sometimes necessary. Instead of trying to find out why new rooms are created on different levels, I'm more interested in finding a correct configuration for your mud so that you can map automatically instead of spending _all_ of your time messing with the mapper. Supply the addy if you'd like me (or someone else) to find a working configuration for your mudding sessions.
Fastidious
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:28 pm   

nexela wrote:
It doesn't matter that your not capturing names or desc THERE could be something in the output FROM the mud that is causing the mapper to move down With output we might be able to fix this problem as I have run across and fixed these kinds of problems before, and if your refering to my post I am not agreeing with you the mapper has no real major bugs. If you wan't support then supply what is asked for? Why is it so hard noone is gonna laugh at you.

And if it matters I have my complete mud mapped out with all kinds of working scripts on it and it hasn't failed me yet. An Email to Zugg is most likely gonna tell you to ask for help on the forum.

Quote:
It should have had more time spent on it working out both "Manual" and "Auto configuration" modes.

They both work fine? What is Zugg supposed to do. Log into every mud there is and make sure his auto configure works for it?

I have yet to find a mud I cannot get the mapper working for and I have yet to find a mud that needs extensive tweaking

If you want help figuring this out then give us some output

Maybe you need to better explain your term "Output". Mud output to me is "Room name", "Room Description", "Exits", "Ascii", and "Binary". That is what I THINK you're talking about when you say "Mud Output" because that is what the mud is outputting to me and what the rooms will update with. If that is the case then I already told you they're blank rooms with exits linking east and west with no "Room Name" no "Room Description".

Mr_Kent - I did what you suggested and it didn't work. Still the same problem. I even made another zone within that zone and I got that when I was entering rooms in "Zone 1" it was saving to "Zone 2" even when I had right-clicked and opened "Zone 1". So that was confusing.

I went ahead and re-installed everything because I dono maybe some flat file got corrupted or something. It is working now on the same mud, same examples and ect. So I have no clue on why it did it in the first time on the same configuration. Thanks for the input guys.

-Fastidious
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: