Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Iluvatar
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:55 pm   

Zmud withdrawal setting in.

To make a long story short, my cable company died and took my system down with it so I had to reinstall win98se over the old copy to get back on line. Somehow during this process Zmud seems to have gotten a bit messed up. I open the icon, I get the pretty picture then a Zmud popup appears with a bright red X and the message "class not registered." I scratched my head for a bit, totally uninstalled 7.05 and previous versions, downloaded and installed a totally fresh copy. I still get the same message. I emailed the support people and they gave me the same program to run that fixes that code 23 issue but nopes, that's the wrong one. Since the issue seems to be a bit beyond the responses of the support guys I figured I would ask here and see if any of you Gurus know what's up.

Intuition tells me a registry key for some hidden file that doesn't remove using the uninstall utility is bugged somehow but I'm not sure. Help please?
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:04 am   

Go to www.zuggsoft.com/data and follow the instructions there for installing MDAC and the Jet engine. This could be the cause of your problem.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:07 am   

So you believe those two files may have somehow erased by the re-install of win98se. I had that fleeting thought too but couldn't find them. Off to try it.........
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:22 am   

Worthy effort but no joy...The same error message pops up. Sad
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:46 am   

"Class not registered" is a very generic error message. Yes it has something to do with the registry; beyond that we are all clueless. First place to start is to launch zMud repeatedly until you are certain what it was in the process of initializing/loading when the error occurs. If the error is nice you can simply move the error box out of the way and the zMud splash will be behind it saying what was doing. Without that tidbit we are shooting in the dark.
Iluvatar
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:01 am   

I just hit okay on the "class not registering" and moved it off the initialization box and it went away. I repeated the process about 10 times and the popup doesn't show up. I get a flash database message then it runs to main module initializing and it stops processing without a "not responding" in the close program selection screen.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:10 am   

BTW, when I ran the ininstall program for Zmud on my first attempt, it said uninstalling version like 5.55 which seemed screwy to me. I deleted all extra files I could find to try and do a seriously clean install. When I got the error message again, I ran a Norton registry search and found 221 instances of Zmud. If we can't figure this out, I'm thinking to do an uninstall again, then run a Norton deletion of all Zmud registry files and see if that clears it for a fresh install. Opinions?
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:37 pm   

Don't know if you've tried this already, but could try installing it in a new directory. Should create all new registry entries and such.
Iluvatar
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:29 pm   Finally...

I tried the new directory and that failed too, but thanks. Using Norton Pro, I erased all 241 (it grew) instances of CLSID and other zMud flagged entries. I reinstalled MDAC and Jet again THEN installed a totally new copy of v7.05 and "tada" it worked. It wasn't the best way to delete all those old folders in the zMud file, but I'm looking at the bright side here as I try and regain all the settings I lost.

Thanks to all for the kind assistance! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: