Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Kita

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:19 am   

I am terribly disappointed

I purchased Zmud about a month ago, Last Monday (Aug 9/04) I went to access it and I get this error 23, after many hrs of printing out and reading a huge manual and a FAQ, I found the answer here in the forum so I emailed <support@elicense.com> on Sat Aug 14/04 1:30 am.To get my magic patch sent to me to fix this error, It is now Tuesday Aug 17/04 at 11:00 pm, And still nothing I know how hard it is to keep up with emails. But I dont understand why this file is not available for d/l for everyone, I am a older Mudder recently returned to the fold, and I believe if you enjoy a program you should purchase it and support the programmers, I enjoyed Zmud I purchased it, what I dont enjoy is paying for a program that is only partially working, I have read others are having this problem, you are aware of this problem, you have a cure! Why do I have to wait? you didn't wait to bill my credit card. You were pretty quick to get your money, and now I keep thinking to myself "Okay I am adult whats a few $$ for a program on my credit card? Its a nice program updates are free after purchase just dont ask for any support?" If or When I get this repair I am going to put a copy in my safety deposit box because I am starting to think its worth its *wait* in GOLD.

Going through serious MUD withdrawals
Kita
Falan
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:15 am   

Sorry to hear eLicense is causing problems for you. Sad

Sticky topic Unable to get license at this time- READ ME! has info on what to do if you get no response within 48 hours.

BTW, this may be of little consequence, but eLlicense is a ViaTech system, not Zugg Software. "The Code 23 error happens when the eLicense database gets corrupted." - Zugg.

I hope they get it fixed for you real soon. I'm starting to have sympathy MUD withdrawals!
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:28 am   

Actually that isn't an actual program problem. This happens when you don't shut your computer down properly (the manual shut-down button). This mainly happens on slightly older OS's like Win 98 and such. I had this happen to me as well (this happens to me every time I don't shut-down properly), I just re-run their diagnostic program. They sent me theirs in about a day or two, just re-email them and they should send you the program.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:42 am   

Morgoth wrote:
Actually that isn't an actual program problem. This happens when you don't shut your computer down properly (the manual shut-down button). This mainly happens on slightly older OS's like Win 98 and such. I had this happen to me as well (this happens to me every time I don't shut-down properly), I just re-run their diagnostic program. They sent me theirs in about a day or two, just re-email them and they should send you the program.

That is exactly what I would call a program problem Very Happy. Just because the OS isn't shutdown properly you shouldn't have to email a 3-rd party to solve the issue. e-license should add that code fix they have in their 'diagnostic program' into the e-license system.

It shouldn't be too difficult to add auto-repair code to a database like e-license.
Kita

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:10 pm   HMM!

I apologise to Zmud if the problem is not in their program. And I would suggest if the problem is with elicense then they need to sit down and come up with a solution that will solve the problem quickly and effectively for their users because what they are doing right now is obviously not the correct answer. Terribly sorry but as long as we live on the planet Earth and have storms we will have power outages! Its not that I havent tried but unfortunately I cannot control the weather! Last year half the eastern seaboard had no power today a large portion of Florida! Does this problem have to affect 3 million people or more before someone notices and does something about it? If this glitch was with my ISP I would be looking for a new ISP! I am starting to feel like poor Annie Frank hidden in the attic room writing in her diary.

Day 10 no MUD
I feel so helpless *sob*
I feel like the donkey off the Shrek movie when he sings
"I am all alone with no one beside me"
Kita
PS If you lock this topic again can you at least point me in the direction of their forum there are a few things I would like to point out to them. Or better yet why doesn't someone make some elicense support employee MOBS Put them in the MUD give me my magic cure program and a good weapon and LET ME AT THEM! You know you could start a whole new MUD/world full of nothing but Bill Gates, his employees and Elicense support people ( people would probally even shell out a few bucks for this) Make it fair give us a weapon they can have thier magic program (on disk of course)to defend themselves!
(you hear the sound of someone crying softly)
Will write more later Dear Diary I seem to need more tissue.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:13 pm   

This is only a problem in older versions of Windows like Windows 98. It does not occur in Windows 2000 and Windows XP. There is no reason why eLicense needs to fix their system when it only occurs with an improper shutdown of an old version of Windows. Either upgrade Windows or shut your system down properly.

The reason the diagnostic file isn't downloadable is an eLicense decision, not a Zugg Software decision. My guess is that they don't want hackers reverse-engineering it and figuring out yet more ways to crack zMUD. Since we do not keep the registration code database online for the same hacker and security reasons, there is no way to only allow registered users to download it. So, we force people to go to eLicense.

eLicense is a normal company with normal business hours. They are not there on Saturday and on Monday they are doing a boat-load of email. If you still haven't heard from them, then email them again since email can get lost due to all sorts of reasons like spam filters these days. Even with a couple of day response time, eLicense still has better customer support than most companies I have dealt with.

Also, since eLicense is also on the east coast, did it ever occur to you that they might also be dealing with storm issues? Try to keep in mind that these are *real* people with *real* feelings trying to do their best. Equating them to Microsoft support people isn't going to get your problem fixed any sooner. In fact, here at Zugg Software, we have an "annoying email" tax. The most annoying an email request is, the longer we take to answer it. The more polite a request is, the faster they get help.
Falan
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:08 am   

Ya'll at Zugg Software are the most awesomely awesome! Wink Wink

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:20 pm   

*sigh*
You are correct Zugg.
I apologise. It honestly never occurred to me that Elicense would be on or from the East coast and that could be why there was a delay. I do apologise and I do hope sincerely all is well with everyone and thier family and friends on the east coast.

Sincerely a much humbler
Kita
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:00 pm   

Zugg wrote:
This is only a problem in older versions of Windows like Windows 98. It does not occur in Windows 2000 and Windows XP. There is no reason why eLicense needs to fix their system when it only occurs with an improper shutdown of an old version of Windows. Either upgrade Windows or shut your system down properly.

This is from the Zuggsoft zMUD webpage:
Quote:
"Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, and NT supported, including Windows XP Theme support"

You make it sound like e-license doesn't have to bother helping customers to solve the issue even with the diagnostic file. Windows 98 usually crashes more often than Windows XP. Does a system crash count as an 'improper shutdown'?

Quote:

The reason the diagnostic file isn't downloadable is an eLicense decision, not a Zugg Software decision. My guess is that they don't want hackers reverse-engineering it and figuring out yet more ways to crack zMUD. Since we do not keep the registration code database online for the same hacker and security reasons, there is no way to only allow registered users to download it. So, we force people to go to eLicense.

Couldn't the crackers just ask eLicense to get a copy?

I hope you don't think this post is rude. It isn't mean to offend. However I think that if the eLicense system has issues with Windows 98 then e-license must be pretty stuffed with emails complaining about it. Becuase Windows 98 crashes. Often.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:05 am   

Usually people have to give their reg code to get help from eLicense. Of course, some crackers buy a reg code just for this purpose, but that's still a lot different than just posting a file to the Internet for everyone to use.

As far as your first comment, you can complain to eLicense if you want. I never said that "e-license doesn't have to bother helping customers". They *do* help customers, even if running Windows 98. There is no way for them to fix this. This is a WINDOWS problem in Windows 98. Windows 98 does not have any way to protect it's Registry when you shut down improperly. eLicense stuff is stored in the registry. So, when you get an improper shutdown, the registry gets screwed up, and you need their diagnostic program to fix it. There is no way for eLicense to fix this.

The problem is fixed in Windows 2000 and Windows XP because of how Windows handles the system registry and the fact that Windows has a "backup" registry that can be used after an improper shutdown.

Of course Windows 98 crashes more than Windows XP. That's the whole problem! This is a WINDOWS problem, NOT an eLicense problem. And eLicense does the best that they can to help people with this problem. I never said that eLicense wouldn't help you...I just said that if you wanted to stop having this problem in the first place, you'd need to upgrade to Windows XP.

And the line

"Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000, XP, and NT supported, including Windows XP Theme support"

means just that...that zMUD runs on those operating systems and that we support zMUD on those systems. It doesn't mean that zMUD will work just as well on one system as another. Each version of Windows has different features and different problems. For example, you aren't going to get XP Theme support if you run on Windows 98. And because Windows 95 and 98 crash more often, you will probably get corrupted settings files more often. But that doesn't mean zMUD doesn't run or is not supported on these versions of Windows. So let's not get picky here...every software vendor handles this the same way. If we had to include disclosure statements about everything that doesn't work as well on Windows 95 and Windows 98 because those were crappy operating systems, then we end up with a whole page of fine print that I'd have to put into the license agreement and make you read. And that's just a waste of time for everyone.
Motient
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:34 am   Windows 98

Rorso wrote:
Morgoth wrote:

That is exactly what I would call a program problem Very Happy. Just because the OS isn't shutdown properly you shouldn't have to email a 3-rd party to solve the issue. e-license should add that code fix they have in their 'diagnostic program' into the e-license system.

It shouldn't be too difficult to add auto-repair code to a database like e-license.

Steps Up onto a Soapbox

Well to rebuttle what happens if Zugg himself does like game developers Pushes not compatable with certain OSes or need specific hardware. Zugg could officially state zMUD 7.05 and up is Win2k and XP compatable and force you guys to upgrade. Micro$haft created a POS OS named Windows 98 Special Education version AKA Win98SE. Also Micro$haft created Windows ME the Mistake Edition. My opinion on it now it is now declared as a user error if you are going to use and acient OS you are going to get issues. That OS is over 6 years old.

Steps down off the Soapbox

Thank you and have a nice day
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:58 am   

Hello Zugg,

Thanks for explaining it to me. I thought, somehow, that the e-license data was probably stored in their own data file and not in the registry. I remember now when you talk about the registry how Windows 98 used to show that annoying "Corrupt Registry" dialogue at various times. Guess I feel a bit stupid now Embarassed so sorry about my complaining.

Motient: Zugg can't "force" anyone to upgrade their systems. That is something you have to do volunteerly. I am using Windows XP myself, but I kind of felt sorry for the users with Windows 98. I know how many issues it has. I also know how expensive it is to upgrade. Windows XP costs about $200 but if your machine doesn't meet the requirements you might have to upgrade that one as well. This is why I use Wordpad instead of a program like Word Mr. Green (Office is about $400-$500). As paint programs are way too expensive($100 - $1000) I use Ms Paint for most graphic stuff - things like shading is not fun with it Very Happy.
Kita

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:46 pm   A quick update

I have receieved the fix from Elicense and ran the program and my Zmud is all fixed! It really is a magic fix! Thanks to everyone for your help and advice on what to do while my Zmud was broken!

Thanks everyone!

Kita
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: