Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 4:13 am   

Official "zMUD on Win XP Sp2" thread

As many of you probably know, Microsoft is releasing a huge new service pack for Windows XP called "SP2". This new service pack does a lot to improve security in Windows. But it does a *lot* of stuff and is very large and complicated.

While I'm sure Microsoft has done it's best to test this Laughing, it's possible that it will cause problems with zMUD and/or eLicense.

If anyone has access to an early version of this SP2 patch, I'd be really interested in hearing your report on whether or not zMUD is effected in any way.

If you have any problems with zMUD and SP2, please post to this thread.

Hopefully there won't be any problems and everything will work fine. Let's cross our fingers.

Last edited by Zugg on Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
complex
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:01 pm   

Ironicly enough, Xp SP 2. Is availbe for networks, and we have it here at my work. But I cant install zmud to see if there are any issues. I thought it was funny any way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:22 pm   

Ive been using it for weeks, along with the newest version of zmud. havent come across any problems with it whatsoever. after reboot after install, it makes you choose whether to have autoupdate on or off, then the new intergrated firewall kicks in, so any program accessing the net prompts you once as to whether you want to allow it, block it, or ask again later. Should work grand.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:36 am   

I was able to install the trial version of ZMud on a freshly-upgraded SP2 machine.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:56 pm   

Cool, thanks for the reports!! You guys made my day. The last thing I needed right now was to drop everything to fix some problem with SP2. I'm glad Microsoft didn't do anything too screwy with this.
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 2:11 pm   

Seems I'm a little behind the pack, but I just received my SP2 cdrom in the mail. Installed and immediately (after reboot) started up zMud. Looks like I'm good to go here.
robo
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:18 pm   

zmud's not causing any issues on xp/sp2 for me
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:08 pm   

I haven't had any reports via email either, so it looks like zMUD works fine with SP2. That sure is a relief Exclamation Very Happy
oldman_420

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2004 9:18 pm   

well, this may or may not be SP2 related. I have sp2, and zMUD worked great until i installed a chinese character set. Now it doesnt work at all. ALl the text is in some default system font and theres absolutly NO text (not even drop down menus etc) when you try to connect to a server.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:06 pm   

zMUD does not support unicode languages such as Chinese and Japanese, sorry.
Jellybear

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:17 am   

I just reinstalled my system with sp2 streamlined into the install, and didn't need to upgrade mdac or jet when I installed Zmud as they were already included, so Microsoft did something right :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:05 pm   

I just installed zmud 7.05 and it wouldn't start. Fist thing i did was add zmud to the DEP permissions list, but that didn't work so set emulation to 98/me and that worked. Now zmud started but could not obtain a license, had to find the program used by elicense for it's services (c:/windows/runservice.exe) and add that to the DEP list before it would start the LicCtrl service. I do have DEP turned on for all programs and services except those in the list.

The message I was getting when LicCtrl wouldn't start is:
Sorry, could not get a license at this time.
Please try running this program later.

AMD64 3000+
ATI 9600 256
Plantronics DA50
512 ram
XP SP2
DerTeufel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:39 pm   

zMUD 7.05 works on XP SP2 perfectly :)
Licensing also no Problem.

Greetings,
Stefan
alyn

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:57 pm   Not working for me =(

Hi, recently installed Zmud on my comp, got it liscenced and whatnot, then when I try to run it, it tells me I don't have a compatable version of Mdac and Jet, and that I should install them. So I follow the instructions, and both programs tell me I have a newer version then I am installing and so cancel the installation. What's going on?
PrestoPimp
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:28 pm   Zmud causes error forced to end program.

Hi, idk if anyone else is having this problem but I've updated to SP2 and had 7.04 and now 7.05 does the same thing. The problem is I'll have all my chars open theres about 22 of them and I'll enter a command and all of a sudden i get the box that an error has occured, send dont send etc. I'm unable to recreate this but it happens quite often, just whenever it feels like it. I can just not be playing zmud and my chars idling and it'll close up. Idk if my computer has caused a freakish occurrance with zmud or if I'm not the only one having trouble. Any help to fix the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:25 pm   

You should create a new post to get help on this since it doesn't have anything to do with the title of this post. In fact, since there do not seem to be any issues with zMUD and SP2, I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread and remove it as a sticky.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: