Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion
Krule
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 5:56 pm   

Debugging Tips?

I'm finding it difficult to 'break' zEUS/eMobius.

The only time I have is when I do something that is obviously wrong. Like in this new version when I select a .mdb that isn't a map file.

Other than that, I can't really figure out what I should be striving for in helping find bugs. I mean right now there is _1_ bug in the buglist...should we be worried here, or is Zugg getting that good? :p
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 5:11 pm   

No, I'm not that good Wink

The main problem with debugging right now I think is the lack of documentation and the lack of developers playing with Zeus. Most people are waiting for eMobius. To really beta test Zeus, I need developer's who want to try and write their own applications to play with some of the stuff that is not really tested by the current demo apps. And before anyone can really develop their own apps, they need more documentation on what is available in Zeus.

It's not too surprising that the demo apps work pretty well...they are very simple. And since a lot of the current Zeus code is from 3rd party components that are mostly mature, that helps reduce the bugs.

So, definitely keep playing with the demo apps, and you might try messing with the ZML files to customize them or use them to figure out how to add your own features to the apps. I know Kjata is playing with writing some apps also. And I will try to balance work on eMobius with doing documentation for Zeus. After all, even if someone is interested in Zeus by itself, nobody would buy it without a lot more documentation.
Kronus
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:22 pm   Documentation please!

Zugg is pretty much dead on. I'm waiting for some documentation before really tearing into Zues. In a perfect world, I could just sit down and play with it and just blindly figure out things. But unfortuneatly, my schedule doesn't afford me that luxury. Documentation is EXTREMELY important for a developer, such as my self, to quickly and effectively use (and break) the development tool. I need to know what it's capable of doing before I take it to it's limits. So far, I've been very impressed where Zugg is going with Zeus. I'm very excited at the possibilities that Zeus offers. I can probably port some of my more commonly used script files into a much more user friendly version because of Zeus.

So in closing, I would like to say.... DOCUMENTATION PLEASE!!!!

I know. I hate writing it too. In fact, I hate it so much, I've often wondered if this job (programmer) is for me, because I despise writting it so much. But it's also a sad fact that I depend on it when I'm learning a new system. It's a catch 22 I guess.

Keep up the good work Zugg!
Krule
Adept

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 4:01 am   

I don't really know what to TRY to make with it..i've been out of a programming environment for so long, that i have no ideas what I would WANT to even make.
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:03 am   

Tetris! No programming language is complete unless someone codes tetris for it.

Speaking of which, I'd better go code tetris using my MUD scripting language just to prove that it is a complete language ;)

Hehehe.
Krule
Adept

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 5:08 am   

I don't think i could really code tetris with this kind of language. I mean I'd just use a dll and place it in a window using the language..
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 10:39 am   

Text-based Tetris...now that would rock! Neutral
Kronus
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 1:32 pm   

Tetris... now thats an idea...

*gets started thinking about how he will go about coding it...*
IceChild
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 8:06 pm   

mr_kent wrote:
Text-based Tetris...now that would rock! Neutral

Why not? We've already got Textmode Quake.

WinXP-SP2 | zMUD 7.05 | zMapper 1.22 | zApp 1.04
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: