Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zExplorer Discussion
Kabalah

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:55 am   

Database Update

I thought the database updated from some huge resource. When I updated ZExplorer (registered version) for AC2 all I got was the generic set of locations. Also I registered on a leap of faith that tracking will be implemented soon. I hope this is true. Right now zexplorer offers little more thsn the built in maps. I know it takes time but I hope it wont take too long. Great program , looking forward to its completion.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:57 pm   

ZExplorer gets it's database from the ACSpedia2 web database resource. Be sure to use the Update/Datafiles menu option to download the latest. The basic database that you just get when you first start the program is pretty basic, but there is a lot more stuff out there.

Read the other topics on in this forum and take a look at my New Year's Letter linked on the main page of this site to get a feel for my plans this year. While I was sick during the month of February, which really set back my plans, I still plan to devote most of the year to zExplorer and zMapper once the next public version of zMUD is complete.

This means I'll add support for tracking and terrain mapping to zExplorer. It is *NOT* a promise to add any specific feature for any specific game. zExplorer will support all of the features of AC Explorer, which means I *can* promise that tracking and terrain mapping WILL be available for AC1, just like it was with AC Explorer. However, all bets are off for other games like AC2. Implementing tracking and terrain mapping depends a great deal on the complexity of decoding the client game data for AC2 and in determining how your game location is stored in memory. If this information is not easily available, or if the data files cannot be decoded, then these features will not be available for that game.

Keep in mind that it took about 2 years to get terrain mapping and tracking working for AC1. AC2 is still very young and there are fewer people helping to decode the game file than there were in AC1.

Also, as explained in my New Years letter, after the public version of zMUD, my main focus will be on adding support for other games to zExplorer. Only after other games are added will I work on the tracking and terrain mapping.

To be perfectly honest, my main focus for other game support will probably be for Star Wars Galaxies.

Sorry if this is different than your expectations. It is the same schedule and plan that I've been talking about and publishing on this site for many months.

Pax

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:57 pm   

How's the database updating going? I've been using it more and more lately, and it seems to be working for me. If there are any problems with it, please let me know.

Pax
http://ac2.clarkzoo.org
Jaz
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:38 am   

How do you add entries to this new AC2 DB? I can't see any facility on the above listed website for this.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:28 pm   

You need to do it via zExplorer. That is the interface for the database. Just go to the Edit tab and add a location, then use the Publish button to send it to the database. When you get the login screen for the database you can create your user account for the database if you don't have one yet.

Kabalah

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 1:47 pm   

The database works but the is not a lot of entries to it. I was expecting something more akin to AC1.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 6:20 pm   

Well, I can think of at least two reasons for that:

a) AC1 has a lot more players than AC2, so there are a lot more people contributing locations.

b) The AC Explorer database has existed for several years, whereas the AC2 database has only existed for several months.

c) There are a lot more locations to put on the map in AC1 compared to AC2.

d) Since zExplorer is the only software to handle the AC2 database, and zExplorer is still BETA software, there are not as many people using zExplorer compared to AC Explorer.

e) The AC1 database was available via the web and people could enter items into that database just using a web browser. For the AC2 database, you must use zExplorer to enter that data.

f) There was a free version of AC Explorer, and there is not a free version of zExplorer.

So, lots of reasons.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zExplorer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: