Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
zeroz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:34 pm   

Database: Automatic Opening of DB Window?

Hello!

I was under the impression that the Database Window is *required* to be open in order to access and manipulate the database with scripts. While I understand the need for this, I really wish there was an option to disable this requirement. I'm writing a complex script for a certain game, and the database will store information on various locations and other things pertaining to the game. Forcing players to open the database could lead to some serious bugs in the script!

Well, if I can't keep from opening the DB window... is there any way to automatically open it upon double clicking of the character icon and to automatically put it as a tab on the window display? This would make my script a lot more appealing...

If there IS a feature to disable needing the DB window open, great! If not... perhaps Zugg could consider putting in such a feature. :)

Thanks!
-Z

- Z
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:29 pm   

Zugg could not add an option to disable requiring the DB window to be open to script it because zMUD decides if it is going to load into memory the associated functions and commands based on whether this window is open or not. Also, I don't think Zugg would change this since he doesn't want zMUD to use any more memory than what it requires. However, you can open the Database window programatically with the #MENU command:
#MENU {Windows|Database}

But, now you face some bigger problems. There is no way to make zMUD dock the Database window into a tab. This must be done manually by the user. Also, to have it this way everytime they open their character would require that they save the layout.

Even if you could do all this, your biggest problem is that there is no code to tell zMUD how to make the structure of the datbase. That is, there are no command or functions to create new field, name them and specify their type. This, again, must be done by the user. It is only after the fields are created that you can begin to add data to the database and manipulate it.

Kjata
zeroz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:03 pm   

I understand that much. :)

What I plan on doing is packaging the script settings with a default database. I could then, probably, save the layout as well. Cool. Thanks!

- Z
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: