Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Setepth
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2001 10:15 pm   

hmm, want to set this up

I want to set up a trigger to work for my mud.
When this comes:
You are feeling a little peckish.

I want to have the command:
take steak from backpack

to go on and afterwards after the response of:
You take a steak from your backpack.

I want it to say:
eat steak

However, sometimes I am forging and/or runesmithing (which cannot be interrupted since it takes some time and if interrupted with another command stops doing what it is doing) and I don't want the command to go through, is it possible to have the trigger set up so that it doesn't work during my forging/runesmithing time? And if so, after the thing is complete can it autobegin the eating of the steak if it was not able to be completed during that time?

Know that is a little complicated just want to see if it's possible.

Later!

Hey meet my character:
Prince Basher, Of Que-Hagan.

At http://www.hakarren.mudservices.com port:7777
SHASCO
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2001 11:05 pm   

Put your food triggers in their own class or trigger folder. Then you can create a trigger that will turn your class off when you start forging or whatever other business that you do that can't be interrupted. Then another trigger to turn the class back on once your done forging.

#T- classname would be your value for the trigger that turns the class off and

#T+ classname would be the value for the trigger that turns the class back on.

Hope this helps.
iljhar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2001 11:15 pm   

Sure, you can do something like this:

#trigger {^You are feeling a little peckish.} {#if (@IsBusy=0) {take steak from backpack} {#var NeedToEat 1}}

#trigger {^You finish forging your sword.} {#var IsBusy 0;#if (@NeedToEat=1) {take steak from backpack}}

#trigger {^You take a steak from your backpack.} {eat steak}

#alias forge {#var IsBusy 1;~forge %1}

Iljhar
Ghola
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2001 11:30 pm   

Or a much simpler solution which relies on nothing more than an alias.. alias tsb take steak from backpack. alias es eat steak.

I'm only trying to make the point that overcomplication overcomplicates .
Granted, I don't play a mud where my character needs food or water to survive, but I feel that the golden rule of k.i.s.s (keep it simple, stupid) can apply here.

Because Zmud is so damn powerfully cool, and the talented scripters and wizzies on these forums can come up with some amazing solutions, you can get in the habit of auto-fying almost every aspect of your mudding life. Things can get a little 'dangerous' when it comes to trusting scripts, and if you are playing a PK character you gotta know that when the stuff hits the fan you still can remember how to play the old fashioned way.

On a final note to PKers I was given a bit of advice from a seasoned vet; When the fight starts, take a deep breath, stretch your fingers and don't pay an ounce of attention to your opponents reputation.

I thought that was pretty good advice.

Happy New Zugg fans,
Ghola
iljhar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2001 7:03 am   

Yes, but Ghola, if you look back at the first post, Setepth wants triggers. While it may be easier to create an alias, people use zMUD to make things easier. After all, if they didn't want to use zMUD to its full potential, then they can just use regular telnet, or ask the admins to add user-defined aliases. I also play on a PK MUD and I remember what all my triggers do and how to simulate them or do whatever I need to do without zMUD jumping in. But if you have something as powerful as zMUD, why not realy use it?

Iljhar
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: