Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Palomar
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 5:22 pm   

pattern matching everything

I have a system of triggers designed to when an item comes on auction to automatically capture all their characteristics. Some item's names have "extra" characters like @ or / or * in them. To capture these I use the * pattern but somehow it does not seem to capture them.

In short, does * capture EVERYTHING or is there another pattern that does it?

Palomar
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 6:36 pm   

quote:

I have a system of triggers designed to when an item comes on auction to automatically capture all their characteristics. Some item's names have "extra" characters like @ or / or * in them. To capture these I use the * pattern but somehow it does not seem to capture them.

In short, does * capture EVERYTHING or is there another pattern that does it?

Palomar

the plain * wildcard won't capture special characters like the @, [], etc. I'm not quite sure, but I think it's just not designed to capture any special character that ZMud parses.

To capture these characters, you'll want to use the %* wildcard, which basically is the plain * with the inclusion of the special characters.

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2001 1:56 am   

I believe the reason for having * not work for certain special characters is the simple fact that the script parsing system is recursive. It would incorrectly modify your script when it expanded what was captured by the * unless your script is built to be safe against those characters. So test very carefully after making the change to %*
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: