Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Crymson4
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 12:41 am   

Multiple Instances of the same variable?

I'm trying to keep my current gold amount stored in memory at all times.

The current trigger I have set up is

<%1G
to which the command is
#VAR CurGold %1

My problem is that instead of updating @CurGold with the new amount, it just creates another CurGold variable. Any ideas on why, or how to rectify it?

Thanks,

-Crymson
decantor
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 3:21 am   

#TRIGGER {<(%d)G} {#VAR CurGold %1}

I would also consider using a different character besides "<" to lead into the trigger, as zmud might parse it on you.

Whenever you are triggering off something, whether it is a number, word, letter or whatever and want to assign it to another part of the function, always use the umm.. 'lettered character'(%d for numbers,
%w for words, etc.), and then refer back to them in the command portion of the action with the 'numbered character' (%1, %2, etc.). This way zmud won't wig out on you nearly as much.

I'm also sorry that that sounds far more confusing than it actually is.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2001 12:05 pm   

A perfect example for this problem is presented in the trigger patters page of the help. #TRIGGER {You have &%d{Gold}gp} Also on the same page you will see something about using the quote character to match special pattern characters. < qualifies as a special character generally and just to be safe should be prefaced with the quote character. So you want your trigger pattern to be: ~<&%d{CurGold}G
You may also want this pattern to detect only at the start or end of line. Just a few options for ya.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: