Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Belmyrddyn
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 1:23 am   

Alarm

I'm trying to change all my scripts to be based on #Alarms instead of #WAITs. What I'm doing is using triggers to locate the amount of time to wait, then using an alarm to the effect;
#ALARM +@RT {#VAR Continue 1}
#Until (@Continue = 1) {}
And the script continues.

But I come up with a syntax error on the alarm line, something about the #VAR command. Is there a workaround for this?

Belmyrddyn
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 5:38 am   

quote:

I'm trying to change all my scripts to be based on #Alarms instead of #WAITs. What I'm doing is using triggers to locate the amount of time to wait, then using an alarm to the effect;
#ALARM +@RT {#VAR Continue 1}
#Until (@Continue = 1) {}
And the script continues.

But I come up with a syntax error on the alarm line, something about the #VAR command. Is there a workaround for this?

Belmyrddyn

That should've worked, I think. If not, you can probably do @continue = 1. It's really the same thing.

On a side note, are you sure you have all your braces in place?

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
decantor
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 7:55 am   

Although this is not exactly a direct reply, I used to have a lot of problems with #wait and #alarm. So, instead of messing around with it, I decided to take full advantage of the tick timer. This is something that I would highly recommend to anyone who enjoys scripting and likes to make zmud do amazingly wonderful things to make their mudding time a whole lot easier, and more enjoyable.

First, I figured out how many seconds were in a 'round' on the MUD i frequent the most, which turned out to be around 3 seconds. Then, I configured my tick timer to a duration of 3 seconds, 0 second timeout margin, and set it to execute one single alias.

At first, I just thought 'OK, that's neat', and didnt really do much with it except count rounds, but if you use it to operate #math tick_counter {@tick_counter + 1}, you now have probably THE most powerful thing I have ever come across in coding zmud scripts.

The main thing it gives you is a basis to start counting anything on. For example, "#TR {You quaff a sanctuary potion.} {#VAR sanctuary_base @tick_counter}" would give you the number of the round that you quaffed said potion. If you add a sanctuary_duration variable(the total duration of the spell), and integrate an alias to keep track of how many rounds of sanctuary you have left(also using the tick_counter), you can always know what spells are affecting you and how long it will be before they run out. I use this type of trigger for all of my spells, and use the status window to display them in real-time.

This can also be used in doing simple delays by adding another alias for the tick timer to execute, next_action or whatever... the uses for the tick timer once you do this are pretty much only limited to your imagination and scripting skill.

To do delays, the best way I have found so far is to lump all the commands into a different class, and create a button that toggles the class on and off and assigns a noop to the alias you execute to spam thru the commands(eg. #ALIAS next_comand {""}).

Anyway, I hope someone else thinks this is a cool idea, cuz I sure have fun with it ;)

~~deca
Belmyrddyn
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2001 1:19 pm   

Yes, I use the tick timer to countdown the number of second left in the roundtime, for a gauge. Its really quite nifty.

Belmyrddyn
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: