Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
CWRUChris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 5:58 pm   

Zmud Mapper Question

Ok, i'm basically having problems in "Follow" mode (i can make my maps ok) because the mapper is advancing me rooms when, forever reason, i havn't moved.

It seems to me that zmud mapper is looking somehow at me INPUT (ie, me typing n,s,e,w) instead of an actual room change.

Is there ANY way to have the Zmud Mapper (in follow mode) ONLY advance rooms when it recieves a certain string of text? (ie: You walk west) then it would advance me west, but ONLY if it saw that string.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Chris
Troubadour
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 6:13 pm   

Unfortunately, that's pretty much how it works. What you need to do is set up some triggers in your Map Scripts to handle when your movement fails. It's basically handled with the #NODIR command.

#TR {There is no exit in that direction.} {#NODIR}
#TR {No way, you are fighting!} {#NODIR}
#TR {You are too relaxed to do that.} {#NODIR}
#TR {You need a boat to go there.} {#NODIR}
#TR {Your mount refuses to go inside.} {#NODIR}
etc. etc. etc.

You will of course need to make the patterns match your MUD's output. In the Map window, open Edit:MapProperties:Map Script and place them in the Always Active box.

Troubadour
CWRUChris

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2001 6:29 pm   

I guess this doesn't make alot of sense to me. Why set it up so that you have to account for every possible message that would prevent you from moving when all you really NEED to do is watch for the message that tells you that you HAVE moved?

I guess i can see, as far as auto-mapper config, that this would make sense. But why not give us the option of specifying a pattern that allows us to advance the map?

I'd even be happy with a checkbox under the settings that just let us STOP the mapper from auto-advancing, and let us do it with a few simple triggers.

Is there any good reason why that capability isn't available?
Castaway
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 9:12 am   

The first question is easy to answer..

Not all muds produce a text equivalent to 'You go west'.. None of mine do ;)

As for the second, everything's possible, just write a mail to Zugg and suggest it.

Lady C.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: